Wednesday, February 9, 2011

This is So FUN!!!

The following photos show the progress of my latest project made with the FW Acrylic Inks.

White fabric painted randomly with about four ink colors (diluted approx. 50% with water).  I used a blue disappearing ink pen (see more on this pen below) to draw the design lines onto the fabric.  They are very difficult to see in the photo.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Design was then marked with permanent ink.  I used the Pentel Gel Roller for Fabric.  I ironed a sheet of freezer paper to the back side to help stabilize the fabric while using the gel roller.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
More design lines are added with the gel roller.  I love this pen!  I need to get some more because after I completed this project I noticed that the ink level in the pen barrel is getting quite low.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I accidentally skipped taking a photo before this one.  That photo should show the darkened areas on the design.  I painted those in with FW ink in black.  The black of the FW ink and the gel roller go well together.  So after all the black ink was on the fabric and allowed to dry, I then added another layer of diluted FW inks over the surface, but this time just in the background areas.  You can see how vibrant that second layer made everything by comparing it to the single layer that is within the flower design.  Because the inks were diluted, they were a little bit harder to control and I did get a little bleeding into the areas where I didn't want them.  I only applied two ink colors for the second layer.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is my original drawing in my sketchbook.  I drew this, oh maybe two years ago.  Silly me didn't date the sketch.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And here are photos of the finished piece.  The size of this quilt is 14" x 14.25". 

 Doodle Flowers

I outline stitched the focal design with black thread and did an overall meander in the background with a variegated thread.


I used a wool batting and it really gives some dimension in the flower areas as you can see in the next photo.


I did a wash test on the FW inks.  Here is a picture I took before I washed the fabric.

And here is the result after washing. The lighting was different when I took the second photo, that is why the colors are much deeper in the photo above.

You can see that the left side, with no heat setting lost quite a bit of color.  While the side that was heat set is much better, compared to the original in the middle I am able to detect a small loss of color/vibrancy.  I know that I won't be using this product for anything that would need washing.  This test may have different results for you because there are so many factors that could change the results.  So if you want to know, I suggest doing your own test.

I mentioned the blue disappearing ink pen I used at the beginning of this project.  My favorite disappearing ink pen is the Jacquard Auto Fade pen.  The one thing that I really like about this pen is that you can iron over it and it won't set the ink.  You will still be able to remove the blue ink with water.  Cool.  I have only seen this pen at Dharma Trading here.

23 comments:

  1. Fabulous!!!!! I LOVE your work and this looks so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! The colors, the design.. everything! Wowwww! I just recently discovered zentangling after visiting Mamacjt's blog, and have been practicing it a little, now the scribble sketches that I have made are no where near as beautiful as this, but it is fun. I think your creation is just trouble in the making.. cuz now I have to add that to my ever increasing list..

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great antidote to winter! I love everything about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun! Thanks so much for sharing your process. I am going to get some inks and that pen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this Terri! And I'm with you on the wool batting...I use it all the time!

    It is somewhat disappointing that you get a bit of color loss with washing, but I may try them for things I don't plan to wash.

    Thanks for the review and letting us see your cute quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What is there not to LOVE? Love it, per usual standards! Again, thanks for the color inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I forgot to mention the other day when you were talking about your new todays...if you ever get down this way, Dick Blick & JoAnn fabrics are in the same strip mall in Edina.

    Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cotton or silk or something else?

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is simply stunning! Love the step-by-step photos you took of your progress.

    I think you need to create a zentangles quilt book!

    auntie jude

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ Quilt or Dye - this is 100% cotton, not sure what brand it was and I don't know if it was just an inexpensive muslin or a pdf. Silly me for not labeling stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! I love the colors and really appreciate all the testing you do and then sharing it. Although different from other work, I would know it is you. What a wonderful style you have.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much for the informative post. This is SO great, Terri.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, I love it, such wonderful color, design and quilting! And great photos of your process, thanks for sharing them. Perfect timing, I have my first ever Dharma order started and now it's growing - thanks for the pen link.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It makes a great background for the black-very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fabulous! I've been hearing good things about the Pentel gels for fabric. Where are you getting yours?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this piece Terri. So much sunshine and cheer along with the black and white zentangled flowers to ground it. This is gorgeous! Happy Sunshine Hearts to you...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Now you made me want to go out and get the FW inks!!! Bad!! This is so wonderful and what really gets me is that you did flowers in B&W with the background in WOW colors, and every time I look at it I am taken with the colorful flowers!!Love THAT!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. No I want to play along with something like this, I'll need to get my thinking cap on and start gathering for purchases.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think those two applications together-the zentangle and the inks-are really smart. That black against those bolder colors is successful too especially given the darkened background. I was really waiting to see how you used those zentangle designs on fabric. I assume you drew them free hand from your original design?

    They look super!

    ReplyDelete
  20. WOW! You keep taking your artistry to new heights, Terri. Where do I buy FW acrylic inks and the Pentel Gel Roller for fabric?

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! I am just blown away by everything you're doing!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really like this piece. You have such good inspiration from your previous sketches you drew in the sketchbook. Very nice job!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting your comments. Thanks so much for leaving one.