Monday, February 7, 2011

Playing with New Product

Last week I received the FW Acrylic Inks that I ordered. I ordered them online from Dick Blick. Here are the colors I got.


One thing I didn't realize with these inks is that some are more opaque while others are more transparent.  I'm a little disappointed that Dick Blick doesn't indicate anything regarding opacity.  I did find a color chart at the Daler-Rowney web site.  On the chart, the color numbers under the color swatch either end in a cross symbol  or an X.  The X indicates opaque, where the cross symbol indicates transparent.  On the bottles of ink themselves, there is a (t) or (o), which also indicates this information.

Out of the colors I ordered, the only one that is opaque is the turquoise blue.  Oh and I also happened to have on hand black and white which I had purchased about a year or so ago.  Those two are opaque as well.

Here is a color chart I made for myself with the seven colors.  You can see that I wrote the color names along the left side.  The lines of ink that run from left to right are straight from the bottle.  And the lines of ink that run top to bottom are diluted about 50% with water.  My test is on 100% cotton muslin and the pen I used to mark the color names and grid is the Pentel Gel Roller for Fabric.


I started on a project with these inks and I hope to share that with you in a few days.

10 comments:

  1. I will be very interested to see your project. I don't see that the colors bled into your fabric. Is that because you pre-treated the fabric? Do you have to set the colors in any way before washing? Thank you for sharing your work. This is very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terri I wish you would stop buying new products it just makes me want to play too. LOL. I love that you take the time to create color samples. I actually did that with some of the fabric paints I bought for printing, but admit that it was the first time. I tend to just grab a color and brush it on a scrap piece before I decide to use it. Obviously your way is better and you just need to consult saving time and product.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for that important info Terri. I too, thank you for taking time to make the color chart... nice resource. I will look forward to seeing your project in a few days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Were you wanting the opaque colors? Or the transparent ones? Thanks for the info! Can't wait to see what you're doing with them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great info Terri. I had no idea some of them were opaque..guess I just assumed the inks would be transparent.

    look forward to seeing your project and hearing how you like this brand overall.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great chart. Thanks Terri. Has curiosity gotten any of your cats? lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Mommarock - I didn't pretreat my fabric in any manner, and I honestly don't think the fabric had been prewashed so it probably had all the goo on it from the manufacturer. The inks don't bleed out much, but if your fabric is wet, they bleed more so. I also plan to do a heat set/wash test...stay tuned.

    @Janice - I'm sorry!!! I'll try not to buy anything else now. I really shouldn't either as I have so much here to play with already. I wish those manufacturers would stop making new and fun stuff.

    @Joy - I really wanted the transparent colors. Mostly because I plan to layer color over color and that doesn't work so well with opaque colors. But I think if the opaque inks are diluted with some water they will become more transparent.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll be interested to see what you do with these, Terri!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Acrylics are tough. I had to read all of the specs for the Liquitex paints that I bought. After a couple of minutes, the info becomes interesting and you get a sense for transparency and opaqueness, tinting strength, and how the colors will blend together. It is actually very helpful to know. Go figure!

    I am looking forward to seeing what your project is.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Color chart - what a great idea! And diluting. I'll have to remember that when I play with a few inks I bought. Maybe I should dilute a lot first and darken up as needed. You got me thinking out loud here. I'm looking forward to seeing your new project!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting your comments. Thanks so much for leaving one.