Friday, January 28, 2011

Journal Quilt #4

Grow (Journal Quilt #4-2011)
Hand painted cotton duck, hand dyed cotton, hand embroidery, thread sketching, free-motion quilting, Mistyfused and painted

So far I've been able to create a journal quilt each week. I won't guarantee that will happen all the time...but I'm pleased to have kept up for now.

I think I got a little unfocused with this quilt as far as following my "rules" for journal quilting. Of the seven "rules" on my list, I did do the first four, but the last three went unobserved. Oh well...I guess you can't win them all. I'm okay with only following some of the rules. This is supposed to be fun so why stress over rules, right?!

The square of white fabric with hand embroidered flowers on it was something I had started, oh maybe two years ago. I found it recently and it was almost completed, except for some black outlining. So I quickly finished it up and attached it to this piece.

10 comments:

  1. Oh I love those colors together.. LOVE them.. and the flowers Mmmm yep.. perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the color combination and all of the stitching.
    I think your rules are just to fall back on if nothing else comes to mind. Sometimes I need a 'prompt' to get me going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made very few rules and still managed to skip a few on the very first one! I now consider them just a guide. I love your colors -- so perfect for these cold snowy days. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your journal quilt - even if you followed "only" four rules.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always will remember one of my instructors saying to me 'artists are supposed to break the rules' when I chose to use candles in my sculpture assignment instead of electricity. Whether you followed your rules or not, this quilt is perfect! It speaks of the artist. I think the whole composition is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So nice to see something lively and cheerful this time of the year......I am loving your journal quilts.......just imagine the fabulous quilt show you will have at the end of the year if you manage to keep pace! I'd buy a ticket!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm happy to be keeping up, too. This quilt is an all time favorite. I luv absolutely everything about it. SEW Inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is wonderful - so vibrant! And rules are made to broken, even if they are your own rules :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very charming! Hey, can you post your rules each time as a reminder to those of us (me) with very little remaining memory? Thanks darlin.

    auntie jude

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting your comments. Thanks so much for leaving one.