Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Feathery Goodness

I have completed all the quilting on the Indian Orange Peel quilt. Yay!

Here is how I quilted the borders. The inner border was stitched with a free-form continuous swirly thingy, and the outer border is a loose feather shape.


I had not quilted feathers before, that I can remember anyway! I wanted to give them a try as I've seen so many fabulous feather quilting done by other quilters. My first attempt was not good. I started on one side of the quilt and marked some spine lines and tried a feather shape that was a bit more "formal". Well I didn't like how it was turning out at all. So I ripped out the stitches. I then Googled "feather quilting" and looked at images of feather quilting. I found a "look" that seemed more loose, fun and me. So I tried it out on a scrap quilt sandwich and was quite pleased at how easy it seemed to be.

I got brave and started on the quilt border and wow! I am very happy with the results. I am now binding the quilt and am about half way around.

12 comments:

  1. I can't believe you've never quilted feathers before...they're awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well done! Look great to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look good to me! I love feathers on quilts -- after a lot of practice, they're pretty easy. I do still mark where I want the spine to go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are your first feathers?

    I could say something really ugly about you right now! I wish you could have seen my first feathers! They were completely unrecognizable as feathers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. well your feathers are fabulous!!!! They always seem so daunting don't they? but if I am finding that if I can get in a rhythm they really are quite fun to do.
    There is just nothing like the look of feathers

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is fantastic for your first round of feathers! Bravo!! If you didn't tell us, we would have never known. Just beautiful, now we need to see the entire quilt, please...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Feathers are not easy the first few times you do them - but yours look great! I would NEVER have guessed that you'd never done them before. And yes, please show us the whole quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous border quilting!!!! Love both of them.

    auntie jude

    ReplyDelete
  9. The feathers look great! A little practice first is usually just the thing to get going:)

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting your comments. Thanks so much for leaving one.