Saturday, August 28, 2010

Quilts & Fabric

I've got the Indian Orange Peel quilt done...YAY! Here it is pinned to my design wall. I am in the process of blocking it and it will be up on the wall for a few days. I have the hanging sleeve on it already and then all that's left is to stitch a label on the back.


I had three quilts sitting around needing hanging sleeves, the one above was one and then this one....Three Catmigos. I got a sleeve and label on the back and now it can hang in my dining room. Doesn't it look grand?


I had a quilt hanging in my dining room in this location before, but it was the first wall quilt I had ever made, which was around the mid 90s and you know how those first quilts look....pretty wonky and wavy. It really was time to retire it.

Lately I've been doing a lot of overdyeing. What is overdyeing you ask? It is dyeing another layer of color on a piece of fabric that has already been dyed. I haven't done overdyeing before and I keep asking myself why I haven't. I am loving the results I'm getting, well most of the time. It can be difficult to know what will happen sometimes, depending on the color choices.

Here are a couple of my recent overdyed favorites.



The fabric I have dyed here was a white on white print. That is why you see the swirly, flowery design on it. Have a great weekend!

16 comments:

  1. Both quilts look fabulous on your walls. I love them!! And OMG, those fabrics that you overdyed are just my colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how a tone on tone fabric acts like a resist so that the "whites"still remain after the over dyeing process

    Oooo and The quilts look absolutely wonderful!!! Three Catmigos??? Purrfect

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Indian Orange Peel is outstanding. It is a perfect cool quilt to look at on hot summer days.

    The Three Catmigos are so cute! Yes it sounds like it is time to retire the older piece and hang something that makes you smile everytime you pass by it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous quilts! Love the colours, design and quilting! And your overdyed pieces are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Simply fabulous quilts, esp. the Indian Orange Peel :)

    Love the overdying effect. That is just terrific...the sky is the limit!

    auntie jude

    ReplyDelete
  6. Terri the orange peel looks great, and I just LOVE those cats!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the overdying and the cats look right at home on the wall there - so regal!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOOHOO! Fabulous completed quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Indian Orange Peel is great!
    I love, love the Three Catmigos!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that orange peel! great quilt , Teri!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do love your cats but your Indian Orange Peel is outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your orange peel quilt and the cats are adorable. The over-dyeing looks like fun, such nice results.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Everything looks exceptionally wonderful. How satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love, love, love the IOP! I really need to start one of my own. That's one of the first patterns I ever bought. Maybe that will be my next Craft Week project.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Everything you've shown here is wonderful, Terri -- great job on the Orange Peel quilt -- it sings!

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  16. The three Catmigos look wonderful on your wall. And I love your overdyeing experiments

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting your comments. Thanks so much for leaving one.