Thursday, February 4, 2010

Not Welcome Here

For a few days now, I've been getting many comments left on my blog that are spam. Essentially the commenter leaves a nice and pretty comment that relates to the blog post, but then they provide a link to a site that I do not endorse or visit or want anything to do with.

 

I've declared my blog a "no spam zone". Unfortunately I've had to change the settings in my blog comment setup. I will now be moderating the comments, unfortunately. It's too bad that we bloggers have to adjust to the spammers. They make Internet usage miserable. So I just wanted to let you all know if you leave me a comment and it doesn't show up right away, this is why.

In other, more exciting news...I recently learned that two quilts I submitted to AQS-Lancaster quilt show have been accepted. I was thrilled beyond words. If you visit here, you can see all the wonderful artists who will be sharing a quilt or quilts in this show. And for general information on this show, click here. The Lancaster show dates are March 24-27, 2010.

And I just had to end this post with a photo of something more interesting than a "no spam" sign. I'm preparing to create Block 6 for the Block of the Month through Three Creative Studios.

 
Have a happy, "no spam" kind of day!

16 comments:

  1. Hi Terri,
    First...
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Will you be able to attend the show? That would be fun.

    Over the past 2-1/2 years I've been blogging, I think there have only been 2 comments that I didn't allow because it was some sort of spamming. I'm so sorry you've had to deal with this. I don't mind moderating my comments because it helps me to make sure I get each one read.

    Enjoy this great creating weather we're having. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, its a shame when the few spoil for the many, but you can't keep the good bloggers down! lol Congratulations and I'm ready for block 6!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too bad about the spam. Congratulations on the show.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the show! You really seem to be picking up on the entries. *S*

    What in heaven's name is the black piece on the board with the pieces for 6th blk? I hope it's not something we need to *make*!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, at least (it sounds like) your spammers are leaving their compliments in English ...

    I'm sorry you have to deal with so much of it; it's definitely not the fun part of blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a friend who kept getting spam on her blog. And the comments were not polite and kind. At all. One day, out of morbid curiosity, I clicked on the link. The spammer had a comments section, herself, on the link. There was comment after comment from bloggers she had spammed, telling her what a spammer she was and to get lost. I thought it was funny!

    If I see it on blogs such as yours, I usually just ignore it. It happened to me, too. I just ignore it. Most of your visitors know it's just spam, anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on the show! I had the saem problem with these spammers and also had to set up comment moderation. It really is a pain, and I do wonder how it can possibly be worth while to them! It makes me feel as if someone has come uninvited into my home - it's a violation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on the show and bummer on the spam.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am pleased for you about the show. Should be good fun.

    I too have changed to comment moderation. It is a good tool and no shame in using it. Besides, your readers enjoy your site and won't mind a bit:):):)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Terri, I had a problem with a spammer a few weeks ago, did the same thing and switched to moderated comments for awhile and that seems to have taken care of it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Terri, I've had a lot of these over the last year or so. Thankfully Wordpress has a system where if you've left one accepted comment then it remembers you next time so it's just the fishy ones that get moderated in the future. Now if anything's in the least bit fishy off it goes to the spam pile!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Terri, your moderation will not keep me from writing comments! On my daily stroll thru the internet, I encounter moderated blogs so often. It can be a necessity, and I don't mind at all.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on all this good news about the shows! and too bad about the spam junk...i've had it happening lately with older posts, it's weird and creepy :(

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats on the show -- what excitement! Wishing you the best of luck!

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations on having your quilts accepted in the show. What a pain about the spam, as you say they really do spoil the internet for the rest of us!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Terri,
    Congrats getting into AQS. You're among a lot of notable names, good for you !

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting your comments. Thanks so much for leaving one.