Saturday, July 25, 2009

Lettering School

I have always been a huge fan of fancy lettering and such and just never felt like I was any good at it. I always found myself disappointed with any attempts to add a word or phrase or quote to my art. Well when I saw that Martha Lever was teaching an online class on fun calligraphy style techniques, I signed right up.

The class started this past week and I've been practicing every day with the writing style. This is so much fun and Martha has such a laid back, easy going teaching technique. You can't help but have a blast.

So here is one of my practice sheets. At this point I'm basically writing the letters in the way Martha has taught us. In time and with more and more practice I will probably (hopefully) take the letters in my own direction or style.


The next photo is my brave attempt to add some lettering to an artwork that I have had on my painting desk for a few weeks. I did try and add a little of my own flair to these letters. I practiced this quote for I don't know how many times before I felt I was ready to put it on the canvas. And even then I think I held the pen poised over the canvas for so long because I was afraid. Afraid I'd ruin the artwork. Once I started and got going, I was having fun and I should really loosen up and if a mistake happens, well paste something over it I guess.


Happy Weekend!

14 comments:

  1. As with everything else, Terri, I think you're a natural!
    This is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to take a class like that sometime! It looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Typography was once my greatest passion, so any quilts or art with lettering makes my heart just sing! This looks great, Terri! I love the art work, and the lettering just cinches it for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And you needed the class why? Just kidding. Ditto Judy's comments. You are a natural at this. Looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is absolutely wonderful, Terri!!! Your letterforms are very strong and confident---and beautiful with that touch of whimsey!! You got it!!! WOO HOO!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ditto's to all the above.
    Love your art piece very much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's gorgeous Terri, looks like you'll be passing this class with an A. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would never have known that you were nervous before doing this-it looks like you have always been doing it! Great job and what a great addition to the piece.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wowser, love your lettering. I have always thought you had a great writing style and this just reinforces that notion.

    auntie jude

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've always loved your writing, but I can see it's going to get even better! I'm going to join this class too, but not just yet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE your letters! You're doing great. I just came from Sue Bleiweiss's blog, and she's doing the class too. Are you happy with it? I learned calligraphy many years ago, but I like this style better - much looser than the more formal style I learned (and haven't kept up with).

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm taking this class and having a blast practicing; I still have a long way to go to have my letters look like yours! Love all your new work and dyed fabrics.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting your comments. Thanks so much for leaving one.