Saturday, October 13, 2007

Journal Quilt #41

fabric journal quilt
For this week's journal quilt I played with a new toy. A tjanting. I had first seen Diane's results with this after she took a class and I thought it looked like fun. Diane kindly shared a few tips with me and I think I need more practice. The black paint I used spread out a bit too much for my liking and I'm thinking I maybe had it too thinned out. Below you can see my doodlings. I bought a set of three tjanting tools, each with different tip sizes. I used the medium here. I think I'll try the small tip next round. Hey, you never know, if I like this, maybe next I'll get some wax and try batiking.
fabric drawing with tjanting

I got two new books this week in the mail...Bags with Paper and Stitch by Isobel Hall. Wow is there some pretty great eye candy in this book. Also received Jamie Fingal's new and first book Embellished Mini-Quilts. Another wonderful book. Way to go Jamie!

So did any of you notice my new blog look? I felt a need for a change/remodel.

15 comments:

  1. Well, it's pink...*S* Good for Breast Cancer awareness month.

    I usually read you in Bloglines, so I can't quite remember what the other one looked like.

    I'm no help, am I? :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorite color combos: pink and yellow. Very pretty, Terri.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. And I love your new blog design and new banner. Very fresh and pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it ! What great colors !
    Great new look for the blog as well Good going !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always like black and yellow together. New tools are fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your journal is beautiful as always! and I love the new blog layout :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw people in Malaysia working with tjantings and it looked very easy. It's not. Lol. They are lots of fun though and well worth practising.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! Did you put textile medium into the black paint?

    ReplyDelete
  9. A new fresh layout and the flowers on your Journal Quilt are so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hey very cool - betcha you could use that new tool for writing text too...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh! Ooh! I love your drawing and I like the spread-out effect! The uncertainty of what the line will do is, I think, part of the excitement of the process and the whimsy of the result. I love seeing what you did! Oh, and I do love the new blog look-- happy, happy pink!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I DO like the spreading. I didn't add anything to my acrylic paint, just watered it down to the consistency of cream. I was able to get a consistency where the line stayed straighter if I painted on dry fabric, but then it did lose the "looseness" and spontaneaity of the softer line. I think it's just a matter of experimenting to get a line you like and a consistency you feel comfortable with.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I seem to remember buying a set of tjanting tools some years ago,never thought of using them with anything other than wax- I wonder which cupboard thay are in..............

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the new look, love the accessories and would really love a review of the book about embellished quilts - not seen it here yet

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is one of my favourite of your journal quilts!! The flower design is great.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting your comments. Thanks so much for leaving one.