Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Christmas Elves are Hard at Work

Whoa!  Wait!  What elves???

I wish I had elves! Anyway, I'm busy lately with making gifts for the holiday season. My daughter-in-law asked me recently if I would make a quilt for her to give to her son for Christmas. It will be for his twin-size bed. I couldn't say no. So I've been busy cutting strips.


The quilt will be reds/tans/browns and we decided on a simple strippy design because of the time frame I have to get it completed. These quilts are also referred to as string quilts and I love the ones I've seen that are made from lots of scrap fabrics.


I'm using foundation papers for building the blocks. These are 8.5" x 11" and can be used in your printer if you so choose. I'm laying the strips on the paper at a 45 degree angle.


Stitch and flip. Stitch and flip. Repeat! 
 I've got eight blocks done and you can see how they go together in the next photo.
 I made a quilt similar to this a few years ago.


And also in the works is my annual ornament painting.  I give the grandchildren and my son and DIL a new ornament each year.  And I also make extras for gifts and whatnot.


How about you?  Are you in the holiday making mode?

6 comments:

  1. Wonderful quilt. You are so sweet to do that for her :)

    Can't wait to see your completed ornaments.

    auntie jude

    ReplyDelete
  2. Send some elves over here, that would be great. A bit of making and finishing up a project for a certain hop that's coming up starring - well - YOU. xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. The quilt will be loved for years and years and years! I'm not as organized as you and clearly need to get into elf mode!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The quilt looks like it will be absolutely gorgeous. I made some Christmas cards awhile ago. I'm sure I'll make some small gifts as the time gets nearer, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love those blocks....will you show your ornaments?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh the elusive Christmas elves. Looks like you are pretty busy and getting lots done for Christmas gift giving. Fabulous guy quilt. Creative Bliss Dear...

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting your comments. Thanks so much for leaving one.