Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Christmas Elves are Hard at Work

Whoa!  Wait!  What elves???

I wish I had elves! Anyway, I'm busy lately with making gifts for the holiday season. My daughter-in-law asked me recently if I would make a quilt for her to give to her son for Christmas. It will be for his twin-size bed. I couldn't say no. So I've been busy cutting strips.


The quilt will be reds/tans/browns and we decided on a simple strippy design because of the time frame I have to get it completed. These quilts are also referred to as string quilts and I love the ones I've seen that are made from lots of scrap fabrics.


I'm using foundation papers for building the blocks. These are 8.5" x 11" and can be used in your printer if you so choose. I'm laying the strips on the paper at a 45 degree angle.


Stitch and flip. Stitch and flip. Repeat! 
 I've got eight blocks done and you can see how they go together in the next photo.
 I made a quilt similar to this a few years ago.


And also in the works is my annual ornament painting.  I give the grandchildren and my son and DIL a new ornament each year.  And I also make extras for gifts and whatnot.


How about you?  Are you in the holiday making mode?