Monday, May 7, 2012

Lots O'Blocks

This weekend I spent my spare time working on quilt blocks for the baby quilt. I think I have about 30 to 35 made so far and I need 81 total. The blocks measure 6" unfinished.


I am finding myself thinking about the baby as I sew. Wondering who she'll look like...mommy, daddy, or ME. Wondering if she'll want to learn about sewing/quilting. And all those kinds of thoughts.


I'm using assorted black on white prints for the skinny strips in the blocks and below are the fabrics I have yet to use. Did you notice that I'm not using traditional baby fabrics in this quilt. Does that mean it's contemporary? I'm not a baby fabric kind of person I guess.


I'm still contemplating what to do on the background of the cat triptych, but I think I'm getting closer.

8 comments:

  1. I love what you're doing and like that you're not using the typical "baby" type fabrics. This will so much more lively. Babies like lots of color anyhow, so I always wonder why we're "inclined" to use pastels. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting to be creating for your grandchild-to-be -- and I agree with you: love the non-traditional colors. Babies love the contrast between light and dark, they say.

    I think I like the neutral background on your triptych better than the green -- one woman's opinion. The flowers and the kitties look like they'll pop against the neutrals.

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great *contemporary* baby quilt! Beautifully executed, and the white with black print is the perfect set-off for the purple fabrics. Great blocks; lucky baby; lucky parents!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and I forgot to add... a matching kitty MUST come with this set??? Hmmm??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love where you're headed with this baby quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I was that baby!!! The color is fabulous!!! What baby won't want a beautiful quilt with those blocks?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love non baby baby quilts. This is beautiful. I agree with Leslie...a matching kitty would be delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your colors. And now I can comment!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting your comments. Thanks so much for leaving one.