Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Color Color Color

Recently, my friend Martha and I got together and did some fun painting, Jamie Fingal/Leslie Tucker Jenison style, on cotton duck.  Jamie and Leslie, together, teach a fun class called Musical Chairs: A Painted Canvas Adventure, and that class is what inspired Martha and I to paint.


The canvas we painted is eight feet long and 30 inches wide.  We had a ton of fun with it and it took us nearly all day to do.

detail

I took the entire length of cotton duck home and cut it up....wow, that first cut was very hard.  From that piece of cloth I made two aprons, like the one in the next photo.


I also made two composition notebook covers and two mini padfolios.  I even have a couple of small pieces of cloth left, that I will use for something, just haven't decided what to make yet.


Some day I hope to take Jamie and Leslie's class, to experience the pure fun of painting, musical chairs style.

21 comments:

  1. How fun is that? I have to find out what that is about. I am in love with that apron!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How creative and fun that sounds! Of course I love the fabric and the way you used it for aprons and notebook covers. You are an inspiration, Terri!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous creative collaboration!!!! I love what you did with the fabric, too!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! What kind of paints did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have wanted to do this!! What fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is just the coolest! What a fun day..

    auntie jude

    ReplyDelete
  7. Please tell us what paint you use. Does it need to be heat set?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The paints we used were Jacquard Textile Colors. For the black and white detailing, we used DecoColor acrylic paint markers.

      Delete
    2. I didn't heat set the paint, but let it cure for several days. I did a water soak test with a small piece in warm water, letting it soak for a few hours and no color came off.

      Delete
  8. What fun!
    and you've answered my questions about the paint already!!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea! My fiber arts group is meeting in my "barn" for
    a paint playday in April. We are planning ice painting and some
    screen printing. Maybe we can add a small canvas! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh, Terri. This is just way too much fun for one person to be having! Much better to share it with a few friends. Just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, what a fabulous cloth you made, and I love all of the things you have used it for, you are so very creative

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really get the pain of making the first cut, but OH! the apron. I covet your apron.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now this would have been a fun way to spend a day. Love what you have created with the painted cloth. You rocked this cloth!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, that just looks like so much fun. It would be hard to make the first cut, but the finished pieces were worth. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantastic!! Love the colors and movement!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fun!!!! It's just like smiles all over!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting your comments. Thanks so much for leaving one.