Friday, July 15, 2011

Not Going According to the Non-Plan

Here is my progress on the wonky stars quilt.  I am in the process of adding the borders and the top and bottom log-cabin style borders are stitched on already.  While I didn't have a set-in-stone plan for this quilt (I'm using up scraps from another quilt project), I am running into some troubles with my sort-of-planned borders.


I'm guessing my calculations were very off (pretty obvious) as my next round of borders are much too long and not lining up correctly.  Now I need to figure out what I will do.  I'm leaning toward adding another solid white border strip to the two sides and then adjusting the length of the two log-cabin style borders so they fit.  But I'm still thinking...

Another view...

I added little butterflies or bow ties in the corners of every other block.  I used an assortment of white-on-white fabrics for the white background areas.  It feels good to be using up stash.

14 comments:

  1. I hate it when my non-plan won't work. The nerve.

    Super quilt, in spite of the border issues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Border issues plague me too...or is it the math? Anyway, my first thought is ... love the little butterfly bits thru out the quilt, so create/put a butterfly block in each corner of the border. The border on the right looks like you could adjust it to make it fit---maybe by trimming the inset white strips. Otherwise...I love the bright colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a wonderful quilt. And I have issues with borders also -- good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful. I love scrap quilts.
    Hope your border woes get worked out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really cute quilt Terri! Don't fret about the borders...sometimes the best plan is no plan!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are far braver than I to make your quilt and then fuss with it when it goes astray. I love the fun colors and shapes that pop off the white background. Wonderful weekend dear...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the idea of the added white strip. Regardless, I think this is going to be a very cool quilt. I love the butterfly corners!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a happy quilt! Don't stress about the borders -- just add enough white on the inside until they fit!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whatever you do with the border will be just fine. That quilt is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun piece. Great use of your scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful quilt in propress. Math, the bane of my existence. I thought these 'issues' were standard operating proceedure! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love how it is shaping up even if it is a challenge. The butterflies are a nice addition!

    auntie jude

    ReplyDelete
  13. ah well that is what happens when we are not following someone elses plan and really isn't that half the fun?
    It is simply an opportunity for a fabulous and unexpected change of direction.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful so far. I'm sure you'll work out a solution. Quilting is great for the mental gymnastics it puts our minds through. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting your comments. Thanks so much for leaving one.