Wednesday, April 20, 2011

A Tale of Three Vases

I have a quilt design in mind that I want to create, not shown here. I am up in the air on how I want to create it. I decided to do a small quilt design using different techniques to see which result I like best and may want to use for the quilt I want to make. Here are my results.

The first one is bright colors painted on a piece of cotton. Free-motion quilted, no binding yet.


The second one is a whole cloth painted design also. Free-motion quilted, no binding yet.


And the third example is a fused applique. The background is hand painted. It's also free-motion quilted and has no binding yet.


They each have their strong points and while I like most things about each one, I know I won't use the techniques in example 2 for my quilt idea. I think I may be leaning toward example 3 for my quilt design but I may still choose example 1 because I really like the bright, bold colors. I do think in example 3 I should have used a darker color or another fabric for the lower background. While I free-motion quilted the lower area in a darker thread color, I think it still looks like the vase is floating a bit.

Anyhow....which look do you like most of the three?

15 comments:

  1. hmm, the top one seems to suit the style, imho.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like #3; in the varying colors... and I really love how your quilting is showing off in it, but have to agree with you on the floating part. Like #1 too, and for sure the colors, but the quilting is hard to distinguish in the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite is the 2nd because of the dark outline.

    I agree with you that #3 would be improved by a darker 'table', which you could still easily do just by coloring with Crayons, Paint-sticks, or markers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. well I like them all.........but I would choose #1 as the one I am drawn too. perhaps a combination of all three would be the answer...some solid like #1 paired with a bit of your gorgeous painted background, LOVE the black outlines....plus throw in a little fused applique?

    Aren't you sorry you asked? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I like the third choice because of the flower coloring, but I love the FM quilting on all of them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your quilts! Your free-motion is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE 3!!!! It's perfect in my eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like them all for different reasons. #2 is more "me" but I think #3 is more "you".

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like them all, also for different reasons. My favorite is #3. The addition of an outline around the shapes and some additional shadowing under the vase would ground the shapes.

    The quilting is great..really fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is impressive! I like the repetitive design; it really allows your techniques to contrast nicely together.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The 1st one has a very strong graphic appeal while the 3rd one is a lot softer and more "impressionistic." So, I suppose it depends on what look you are after. Either one would be great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I, too, like them all. However, I agree with your feeling that the tabletop portion in #3 should be darker. As it is now, the vase and tabletop are too close in value. The quilting is really nice, and I like the way you quilted the wall and tabletop differently.

    What a great way to try out different technique.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely work in all three, as usual! I'm drawn to #3 b/c lately I'm drawn to the softer colors. The quilting suits it, but perhaps darkening the line to define the table edge would anchor the vase?

    ReplyDelete
  14. The second is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This gives such an example of the creative process and the various outcomes that can be the result of playing and experimenting with the elements!
    joni beach

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting your comments. Thanks so much for leaving one.