Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Mandala


There was some interest in this piece which was making an appearance in the photo that I shared a couple posts ago. I have this hanging on the wall in my studio.

I made this mandala a couple years or so ago. I created it with fabric-backed paper, which I teach how to make in my book Creative Paper Quilts. I bonded the fabric-backed paper to a stiff interfacing, such as Peltex or Timtex. I trimmed the piece to the size I wanted and then started drawing my mandala on it. I imagine I found something round to create the circular shapes to start the mandala, but honestly, I don't remember.  The mandala is colored in with black Sharpie marker.  I finished the piece by fusing a backing fabric on and then zigzag stitching the edges.

14 comments:

  1. I think this is just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just such a great concept and you executed it wonderfully.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terry, holy cow, that's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely beautiful. Great technique tips too! Thanks for sharing!

    SewCalGal
    www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. VERY cool. I was using a sharpie recently and wondered how long the black would hold up... How long ago did you make this?
    It's fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Striking. Good for letting the eyes rest on it in idle moments.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another gorgeous piece of art! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been making designs for cross stitched mandalas. I think what you have done with fabric with this one is simply stunning

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love doodling on paper and fabric and this piece is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this... thanks for the detail. I am going to order your book right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's gorgeous, Terri -- I love to watch what comes out of an artist's brain when she doodles, and this is masterful!

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  12. Black Sharpie huh? I would not have guessed this. Thanks for the info though-the piece is striking:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very beautiful piece Terri... Looks like you had a good time creating it.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting your comments. Thanks so much for leaving one.