Wednesday, March 24, 2010

More on Grippers

First, I would like to thank all of you for your wonderful comments on my mosaic collaged face. Your input has been a tremendous help.

A couple months ago a call was put out to make a quilt block for a special quilt for Yvonne Porcella. The first photo shows the block I made to contribute. You can see the completed quilt here on Jamie Fingal's blog and she shares a bit about the process. The quilt turned out so great!


I made my quilt block with the gel glue resist method and added color with Jacquard Dye-Na-Flow paint.

I wanted to share with you that I tried the gripper pads while free-motion quilting yesterday and found them extremely wonderful. I will definitely be keeping these by my sewing machine to use often. I had a couple of questions on how to use these. Simply lay the gripper onto your quilt in the position where you would normally have your hand, then just place your hand on the gripper and start stitching.


As I was cooking supper yesterday, (I was making manicotti) I looked closely at the plastic trays that the manicotti shells came in and wondered if the tray would be useful in my studio. While they are a bit flimsy, there were two plastic trays and I have them nestled together, I thought perhaps they might make a nice thread spool holder for the threads I pick out to use on current projects. I'm not sure if I'll like this or not but thought I'd give it a try. I like re-purposing things that are meant to be discarded, and do it often. Do you? What's your favorite re-purposed item and how do you use it?

14 comments:

  1. Best thing I've reused lately is the box left over from Folger's Coffee Singles. It has a little divider in it that makes it the perfect size for my water bottle, sizing, lint roller, and the little pitcher used to add water in the iron for steam. I keep it on a shelf next to my ironing board. It's the perfect size for all those little things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used the zip plastic bags that sheet sets/pillow cases/comforters come in as project bags.

    Also for those that have small children the target toddler flushable wipes are great mini plastic tubs with lids for elastic,velcros & such.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your block is wonderful and I followed the link to see the completed quilt - wow! Thanks for sharing.

    I keep most any plastic or glass container with lids and store my collected petals, seeds, pine needles, etc. Lately I've been washing out my coffee filters and emptying the tea bags as the fabric seems to be calling .... don't know where or how it will end up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really like your quilt block and thanks for showing us how to use the "grippers". That really helped.

    auntie jude

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super block for a super lady's quilt. I'm also glad you showed the grippersin action. It would sure beat taking gloves off for fiddly things. I have a rubber bath mat under my machine's foot pedal to prevent that running away that happens.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I love both hints, the bath mat and the grippers in action! The gloves just are too hot sometimes! Thanks Justine

    ReplyDelete
  7. And speaking of grippers, you can buy that stuff at the Dollar Store -- it comes in circles to be used as coasters, as well as placemat sized. Or buy a big piece as a rug mat and cut it to smaller sizes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I use a lot of Scott moist wipes for various things - like cleaning up rubber stamps and my fingers after painting.

    They come in a great plastic box with an attached lid. I have dozens of them around my place by now, full of all kinds of things.

    I usually remember to use a marker to label the box, since it's not transparent.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your block is gorgeous and the quilt is so bright and cheerful!! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Two great ideas that really speak to me. I have two pill boxes with the letters of each day of the week printed on them. They are about 6-7" long by 2" deep. I use them to hold my bobbins.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Terry, I use those trays all the time, for everything. I have some that allow me to put my paintbrushes down without them rolling around on the table, some that hold my beading supplies, more that hold odds and ends in various drawers scattered around the house. For the more flimsy trays, try nesting them inside a larger (flat-ish) box with one or two other trays. That way, they have a sturdy bottom and can be carried around, if needed. (I puzzle-piece them into sturdy garden flats and then I have a whole selection of divisions and compartments for "little storage".)

    The quilt block is lovely. :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great quilt Terri and I will have to try the grippers for quilting. I have a few in the kitchen and they are great to open a jar.
    Alot of what I repurpose right now is baby stuff (go figure) I use the Enfamil formula cans for mini trash cans. And I use the plastic Gerber baby food lids to hold the various color of beads while I am working.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely project you contributed to, Terri -- I can imagine that Yvonne was moved beyond words. The final quilt is, indeed, a masterpiece. Way to go!

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  14. I use the base of these trays to form designs on my decorated papers

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting your comments. Thanks so much for leaving one.