Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Grippers

Last week I watched the most recent episode (#606) on The Quilt Show, featuring Phillipa Naylor. I love Phillipa's work and have been a fan since I've been aware of her work. In the show, Phillipa shares how she uses a grip pad to help her hold and move the quilt while she free-motion stitches. I, myself, usually wear a pair of quilter's gloves, but liked her method just for the fact that if you quickly need to grab a needle, thread or anything small, you aren't having to remove the glove every time.

So yesterday while I was grocery shopping, I spotted the following:


A four-pack of grippers in the dollar aisle of the store. I figured for a dollar I could easily try out Phillipa's method. So did you see the text I added to the photo? I think the company should consider adding this information to their packaging, don't you?

Remember the sneak peek eye I shared with you last week? Well here's the quilt as it is now. I am trying out my mosaic collage technique on a face. I've got all the stitching/quilting done at this point. I'm not sure if I like this or not. In some ways I do, and in some ways I don't. I'm not totally happy with the way some of the darker fabrics are appearing for shading. I may have to go back to those spots and add some textile paint to blend them in better.


All in all, this piece is sort of an exploration on this technique. I plan to add some flowers to the left side of the quilt, but just haven't gotten there yet.

18 comments:

  1. I love the looseness of this. You are taking this to new places!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the look of the mosaic face just as it is.!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the way this is turning out! Hmm, have you considered layering a subtle lighter skin color chiffon over the super dark shadows rather than paint? It may add another dimension to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cool, a new direction yet still readily identified as your work. It is interesting to see where you will go next with your art.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terri....you are so funny girl! How long did it take you to type that on the photo. I hope not as long as it took me to find it.;) Love the quilt! It is so you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I watched the same episode and cut off a piece of the gripper thing under my rug for the same reason! I thought it works beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Am LOVING this!!!
    Do you have all your small pieces already sorted into colours? Or do you do that as you go along?

    How are you attaching the gripper to your fingers?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I watched that episode of TQS last week (along with a lot of others). I thought that tip was great. in fact, the whole episode was one of my favorites. Isn't she just the coolest person?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your face. The darker pieces don't bother me. I think I bought some of the gripper stuff to use in mixed media.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The actual shading may be different than shown on the screen but I do think it is pretty good, even the darker bits. It has a certain 'realism' to it. I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm adding my voice to the others -- the contrast of the darker fabrics serve to show that it is a mosaic, whereas without the contrast it could be too blendy. I love it as is.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your quilt, the portrait looks fascinating:) Looking forward to the addition of the flowers. Jennifer Morlock

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful eyes. Love all the facial features.

    I too enjoyed Phillipa's episode on The Quilt Show and I am now playing with these grippers.

    SewCalGal
    www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Terri- I love how you are branching out but staying true to your style. Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your mosaic quilt is looking beautiful Terri, you must have spent ages putting the face together, I think she looks lovely as she is.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like the concept a lot. It really looks like your work at the same time too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The quilt is looking awesome, I love the mosaic technique you're using... will be interested to see how you solve your shading dilemma.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the mosaic face, it looks great.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting your comments. Thanks so much for leaving one.