Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Star Pool

I've completed the quilting on this quilt. This quilt is around a baby/crib size. Here it is just after pulling it out from the dryer, before binding is added.


When I started looking closely at it I found that some of the dye had migrated in the washer. Most of the blue/green fabrics I used in this are from my beginning fabric dyeing days. So my guess is I didn't rinse them well enough. But the funny thing is that only one of the white fabrics really took on a blue-ish hue. The other whites stayed white. Weird. In the photo above, the white (now blue) fabric that changed is on the far left, middle.

Here is a floor level view. You can see that the stars have some dimension. I didn't quilt them so that they would pop.


I have the binding all made and sewn to the front of the quilt. I'm hoping to work on the hand stitching part over the next few days. I'll share a photo of the binding fabric I used and a view of the back when it's all done.

10 comments:

  1. This looks great... why do you wash it before you bind it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now why didn't I think of that! 8) I always consider washing part of the finishing process. I'm making a narrower binding now and washing before binding would work great! Nice quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet quilt to calm a baby!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this!! And I think the white that turned a bit blue looks fine. I really like your quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. pretty quilt. I use those color catcher sheets whenever I wash something for the first time. They work great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty! I'm trying to figure out if you did the quilting in diagonal sections right across the quilt. I didn't know about washing a quilt before binding.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I'm also curious about washing before binding. Also, In another post I believe you mentioned something about blocking your quilts. I've heard of blocking knitting and crocheting, but never in regard to quilting. Will you tell us more about that? Curious minds want to know! By the way, love your quilt and the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice, I like it.

    auntie jude

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like your loopy quilting in the blocks! I usually wash my quilts if they're not just wall-hangings, but it never occurred to me to wash them before binding...

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting your comments. Thanks so much for leaving one.