Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Catching Up

Last night we had our first big storm of the season. Lots of wind! We had some rain and lighting...but right where we are at we sort of lucked out as the worst of the storm went around us. The radar map on the television was quite colorful.

I've been busily working on many things lately, but wanted to first show you what I received recently. Judy from Judy in the Dyes blog shared a cardigan she had made for herself a while back. I fell in love with it and told her I'd love to have one of those. Well she so kindly made me one. Judy's surface design on this cardigan is fabulous. Thanks so much Judy!


Next are some pigment-dyed t-shirts I purchased for myself. I have other colors coming as well, but they haven't shipped yet. I love pigment-dyed shirts. I am shortening these shirts up so that they aren't so long. I hate tucking my shirts in!


Here is a small piece I made quite a while ago and haven't shared with you. I don't know why I haven't shown it here, but I guess that's how it goes. I started with a photograph of my cat, Abby, to create this. I want to do some more pieces, working in this way, and develop my technique further. This piece isn't totally finished yet.


Yesterday I prepared these screens for my first attempt at deconstructed screen printing. It's a process that totally fascinates me, so thought I'd give it a try. I was thinking they would be ready to screen print with today, but after looking closely at them, I think I'm going to give them another day of drying time. Stayed tuned for the results.


And here is a sneak peek at a work in progress. I recently got Melanie Testa's new book and am trying out her quilting techniques on this piece. I really like her book and recommend it.



In other news, my Mixed Media Collage for the Fiber Artist class is scheduled to begin on May 25, still lots of time to register. You'll find more information here.

Also, this morning I finally got around to adding some new pieces to my etsy shop. Go here to have a look.

9 comments:

  1. Wow, you have been a busy girl ! I LOVE the Abby piece you made, simply amazing. Also love that new quilting technique. Very cool !

    auntie jude

    ReplyDelete
  2. MMMMMMmmmmm! Wish someone would send me a yummy cardigan like this! Does she sell them on Etsy??? Post a link, if "yes". I like your cat and the other pieces you are working on. I'll stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember Judy's original cardigan and I loved it too. She did another wonderful job on yours as it's really gorgeous! She really does some beautiful things.

    Love the pigment-dyed t-shirts. I love them too but have a hard time locating them. And, you say they are long? I love long! :)

    I absolutely LOVE the little "Abby cat" piece. It's really wonderful and the "neutral" background is perfect to show off the cat.

    Deconstructed screen printing. I have been wanting to do that too, ever since I read Rayna Gillmans article about it. Can't wait to see your results!

    You have been busy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. okay I'm totally jealous of that cardigan, it's gorgeous! and I love that Abby piece, that is really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terri,
    I'm so glad that you like your cardigan. I thoroughly enjoyed making it for you....and Sue and Beena, I'll be happy to make you your own!

    You will be so addicted to that deconstructed screen printing. I am heading to the SDA conference in KC soon, and will be taking a class with Kerr. I am so excited....plus I'm rooming with Gerrie Congdon! How can one person be so darned lucky!! ;-)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you're so productive! Judy's work is beautiful, and I love that cardigan. I'm anxious to try deconstructed screen printing one of these days (it's on my want-to-do list); I'll look forward to seeing your results!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really want to learn screen printing and deconstructed screen printing. I'm afraid that I'll become consumed by it if I start! You are always doing really great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't be sure from your photo, but you might try elevating your screens for faster drying. Air circulation on both sides seems to speed the process. I've heard careful use of a blow dryer works, too,

    ReplyDelete
  9. there's just no keeping up with you!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting your comments. Thanks so much for leaving one.