Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Color My World

Color My World
14-3/4" High x 10-3/8" Wide

I created this art quilt today and just love it. I'm not sure where the idea came from to leave her uncolored, but I like the effect. Hope you do too. She is available for sale in my etsy shop.

I also played with paper today. I've been wanting to try paste paper for some time and finally got around to doing it. I followed a recipe I found on the web that uses liquid starch. I've also heard of a cornstarch version, but didn't feel like cooking it. I tried three different papers (pictures shown in order given), a 24 lb. basic printer paper, a heavier weight drawing paper, and a 90 lb. watercolor paper. I also used three different tools to create my marks.




I'm not done with these papers yet. They will be going back for more surface treatment. Stay tuned!

Oh, and while I was painting the papers, I just had to add some paint to fabric. I was unable to get the combed marks to appear on the fabric, however. But I still have a lovely, stiff piece of fabric to add further design to.

I would like to thank all of you also, for your wonderful comments about the paper quilt in the previous post. I'm so glad you like it. I have since created more of the background paper and hope to do some more with this soon.

10 comments:

  1. Fingerless painting!! Cool. You can get those marks on the fabric if you do a monoprint. I just use those vinyl inserts for notebooks, but you can use a larger sheet of vinyl. Paint the vinyl or plastic and make your marks and flip it on to the fabric and press with a brayer. You probably have done this is zillion times!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quilt is amazing! And I love your paste papers too - where did you find the recipe? (I guess I should just google it myself.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The textures on your paper are coming along wonderfully. And I think keeping the girl on your art quilt uncolored was a good move--I'm liking the way the different colors are creating such an interesting surface.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I love the girlie with the unpainted face. It looks really cool! The new technique is also really neat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love color my world. Beautiful piece definately strikes a chord. Beautifuly thoughtful

    Smooches

    ReplyDelete
  6. Terri, my goodness, you are so prolific. I love "Color My World."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your lady is very lovely. She looks like she is residing somewhere wonderful, like Tuscany...

    Great paper and color techniques. Can't wait to see what you create with them.

    auntie jude

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the balance of color in Color My World. I think leaving her uncolored was a fantastic choice.

    I've made paste paper using the liquid starch method, too. Watch out, you'll get addicted, and have paper drying all over every flat surface in your house!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting your comments. Thanks so much for leaving one.