Sunday, June 22, 2008

Crap and Art

Here's the crap. Have you ever made something and then wondered why? This project has turned out that way for me. I'm not completely done with it, but I don't really know if I even like it. I've stopped in the middle of adding some hand stitching in the flower center. Should I finish?


Here's the art. I recently made an art trade with a very talented artist whom I've admired for quite a while. Sara Lechner of Fabric of Meditation blog creates these wonderfully colorful and full of interest pieces that just keep your eye moving around and seeing something new. If you haven't seen Sara's work, you'll be in for a treat. I just love the colors in this piece that I traded for.

8 comments:

  1. Oh how fabulous! I would love some of Sarah's art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your crap doesnt look as crappy as you think it does (well not compared to a lot of crap I make!) but yes i often wonder what I was thinking when i make some things. and yes finish the last bit of stitching it may be jut what it needs for you to work out why you needed/wanted to make it in the first place. Saras art is lovely isnt it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The piece is not as bad as you think. Maybe since your style is a bit asymetrical you could just add some black wiggly pieces and jazz it up some.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm, I didn't see crappy at all when I looked at this piece. I rather liked it!
    I can't wait for details of your upcoming collage class- I learned a great deal in the last one.
    LB

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you answered your own question when you described the art. It makes your eye move around. On your quilt I saw the center flower and my eyes stopped moving. Like someone else suggested creating movement between the center and outer flowers would solve your problem I think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nah, if it doesn't grab you, leave working on it and find it a home. Only keep work that 'speaks" to you and that you love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Could you make your "crap" art piece into a book cover? Maybe you would appreciate it more as a cover. Have the flower on the spine and doing a "peek-a-boo".

    auntie jude

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, it may be a bit too symmetrical to stand on it's own. A book cover is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting your comments. Thanks so much for leaving one.