Saturday, November 24, 2007

Journal Quilt #47

fabric journal quilt
This journal quilt started with the center focal area. I fused some batik fabric strips to a piece of wool felt and then embellished wool roving to create a floral design. I then free motion stitched details over the flowers and leaves.

I attached this piece to a background of rust dyed fabric that I stitched some vertical lines onto. Next I played with something new to me. I tried my hand at some metal embossing and although it looks quilt primitive, I'm pretty happy with my first try. I do hope, however, that I get better with practice as I've seen some gorgeous embossed metal pieces. I had trouble machine stitching it to the background, so I ended up hand stitching it. My thread kept wanting to break when I tried machine stitching it.

14 comments:

  1. Nice piece Terry ! Great colors and I lovve the 'medallion'

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this Terri. This looks like it would make a great idea for a book cover Metal embossing looks like an interesting thing to explore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How beautiful! The colors are gorgeous and I love the metal piece--it was a great part of the look. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice! It seems very different that what you usually do. Must be nice to be able to experiment in a small size like this. Someday...

    ReplyDelete
  5. How beautiful. I like the softness of the background that contrasts with the metal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. gorgeous Terri and the metal is a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very beautiful, love the combination of the different colours.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful piece, Terri. Love the contrast in the background pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, that is a great one. One of my favs... I like the metal attachment and think you did a very nice job with it. Can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is one of my faves too Auntie Jude.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful! I love the colours of the central panel very much.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love all the elements and they came together so nicely. I especially like the free-motion stitching over the floral design. Well done Terri.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like the flowers on the rusty fabric. It really shows them off nicely. The stitching texture is very effective.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting your comments. Thanks so much for leaving one.