Friday, November 16, 2007

Journal Quilt #46

fabric journal art quilt
The central image of this week's quilt was an embroidery I had done sometime last year in an online class with Susan Sorrell. It was one of those UFO's that has been lying around for too long...and actually I have come across it a couple of times since I made it, but evidently never had a use for it until now.

I've been a bit bummed lately. Not because of a lack of creative motivation, but because I've had other commitments that have taken me away from doing things I'd like to do. I'd like to be making some art just for me, for my own personal gratification. Things I want to make, not things I have to make. But for the time being I can only grab little bits of time here and there to do what I want to do. Ho hum!

And then the other problem I'm having is that when I draw in my sketchbook I always seem to gravitate to sketching things that I know and love to draw. But if I were to take these sketches further, then I feel like I'd be accused of mimicking the work of some other artists. Have you ever felt this way? I don't want to be a copy cat, but the drawings I do are what I like. I've been trying to figure out a way to make them different or 'my own'. But haven't had any luck yet.

7 comments:

  1. Cool piece! Is the background a combo of pleated fabric and silk fusion? It's a good backdrop for that embroidery.

    Can't help you with the creativity issue except to say to do what you WANT to do and don't force yourself to do anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the textures in the backgound and the embroidery. It's always nice to finish a UFO.

    I think you definitely have a style of your own and that style will show in your work. There are very few "original" ideas in this world. We are all influenced by the people, places and things around us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great piece, really like the combination of color and texture in this one.

    The old "have to do" vs "want to do" debate - I know that feeling :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terri-
    good for you that you have followed through on your weekly quilt...nice job...
    and why in the world would you think you are copying ??? just do your thing & stop "thinking" ... go where your muse takes you..art is a personal thing ...don't hold back-go for it !
    ------ we all go through self-doubt occasionally-but it will pass.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have that same problem of trying not to be derivative. I posted somewhere else about how I feel like I'm standing on the edge of my own style, but for whatever reason, can't make that last big step.
    There is a LOT of convo about this very thing on the blogs right now. Artists wondering if they are being copied and others (like you and I) trying NOT to be accused of that.
    I'm just gonna keep on keeping on and wait for the Ah Ha! moment in my own work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all your quilts - I have gone back to the first and read all the way through! SUch commitment - wish I had that. WHat are you going to do with them all once you have completed the year

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like this piece. I think you made a wonderful background for it.
    I think we all know what you mean about the "want to" vs "have to".

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting your comments. Thanks so much for leaving one.