Friday, September 21, 2007

Journal Quilt #38

fabric journal quilt
Well this week's quilt came about from a discussion on the Fibre&Stitch Yahoo group regarding flower stitch feet for sewing machines. Someone on the group talked about a simple way to sew in circles, which is basically what the flower stitch foot does, to my understanding. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

One of the gals from the group, Wendy, had posted on her blog some time back about a knock-off method to stitch circles and she even showed us pictures. Her post is here. So I thought I'd like to try this method and see how it turns out for me. The only thing I did different from Wendy was I didn't bother to put an eraser bit on the top side of my thumb tack.

I found this method rather fun and the circles I made were perfect. I used 4 different stitches on my machine.

13 comments:

  1. I love this method of sewing circles. I learned it years ago in a garment sewing class and actually quilted double-needle circles all over the lining of a full length coat. Just another example of how I carry ideas overboard! Love the colors in this journal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! These are gorgeous! And, dare I say, vaguely dandelionesque?! I love it...thanks for the link to the alternative method!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the quilt, Terri. And thanks for posting the link from Wendy's blog on how to sew in circles. I'm going to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't quite get how to do those circles when I first read it...I'll have to go back again and re-read it. This looks great Terri. I ordered one of those feet. Dale has been doing some really great things with them as well. I also needed an adapter. We shall see how it all works.

    Joanna

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow! it looks like soap bubbles!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey way cool! I gotta try this myself now. You got great results with it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for this great tipp, I will try it also.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it!

    I must give this method a try.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's lovely! It makes me think of bubbles too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is very fun. Many possible applications....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Perfect circles Terri. You mastered that technique quickly enough, and with different stitch patterns too. Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is lovely. Using this method, you can make much bigger circles than you can with a flower stitcher. I think some of the sewing machine manufacturers make circle stitching attachments to do this, I'm sure I've seen one in the Bernina book.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look great with all of the different stitches. I didn't realise you could get attachments for the machines - I'll have to investigate.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting your comments. Thanks so much for leaving one.