Monday, February 10, 2014

Mish Mash

Okay...I'll be honest! I haven't had one inkling anywhere in my body to work on a quilt. This happens to me occasionally and I don't sweat it. I have other things I love doing and that is what I do when this happens. Right now I'm in a painting mode. And I'm going with it.


In fact, I'm starting a new online course. Today. It's called Bloom True and is taught by Flora Bowley. I have enjoyed her work since becoming aware of her a few years ago. She started teaching an online class about two years or so ago and I've wanted to take it ever since. Well I'm treating myself to it now. I'm giving it to myself as an early birthday present. I turn 50 this year and I deserve it. Yes!!!

The class is not about painting like Flora, but about a process. The process of letting go of fears, stepping outside your box, and going with your gut. I will share my progress with the class here. You can see I've got my painting work space all set up in the photo above. 

Below I am preparing pages in my art journal. I glue two pages together so they are stronger and can support lots of paint and stuff. The book I use is a repurposed old music book. I like to have pages ready so that when I'm painting on other things and have leftover paint, I can use it on the blank pages of my journal.


I've been working on other things too. I've been creating some new stencil designs (will share them with you at a later date). I've been babysitting my granddaughter and that takes full concentration. I've been starting to get paperwork and stuff ready for Mr. Tax Man. And I've been continuing with the 29 Faces Challenge.


This is Face #10. I could sense one of my crazy, big-eyed girls telling me she was ready to meet the world...so here she is.

13 comments:

  1. It is so refreshing to hear that I am not the only one who has fallow periods. :) I am purging/cleaning and in doing so, it re-lights the creative fire because I always find something I have forgotten about. I just picked up Flora Bowley's book this weekend! I have never painted, but received some acrylics from Santa. Her approach to painting seems so freeing and what I have read so far makes me want to quit cleaning and start painting. Have fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someone asked me why I move from one thing to the other and I told them I needed the challenge of different things because I get bored with just one thing but really I just love to create. Happy Early Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always said I need to live to the age of 500..it will take me that long to try all the things that are interesting and I do need to use up the stash. You are doing some great faces !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I would love to live to 500, but only if I can have the body/mind/etc. I have right now. Thanks Marilyn.

      Delete
  4. I've been interested in her course for a while too. I may order her book. I look forward to watching what you do with it in your unique style.
    Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Holly. I am looking forward to seeing what I do in Flora's class too....ha ha!

      Delete
  5. You know, sometimes it's the simplest of comments that make the most impact. Your tip about glueing two pages together...duh!! Why didn't I think of that? I don't want to spend heaps of money buying watercolour journals and where I live you can't seem to get in-between weights that will hold up to a bit of acrylic paint. So with your simple little tip I am now sorted - I'm off to glue some pages together. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Don't worry, I've had those "duh! why didn't I think of that" moments too. Have fun!

      Delete
  6. oh, I remember how excited I was when I started her course. You're so gonna enjoy it! Hope to see lots of in-progress pics here! Love your face too. Nice contrast between the simple black lines and the colourful background ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am enjoying Flora's class. So glad I decided to finally do it. Thanks!

      Delete
  7. It may be early but I wish you a happy 50th birthday! You do deserve the class, and I'm I look forward to seeing your progress. I always enjoy your posts!

    I turn 61 on Valentine's day. Yikes! Actually, it's not that bad. There are many good things about it but I do wonder how I got here so fast.
    D~~~~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Donna! Yes, it all goes much too fast. That's why we need to enjoy the ride and do what we can to have fun.

      Delete

I enjoy getting your comments. Thanks so much for leaving one.