Thursday, June 13, 2013

Custom Work and a Journal Spread

About a month ago I received a request for a custom tote. The design the client wanted was based on an art quilt that I had made. The art quilt was created with lots of hand stitching, applique and machine thread work. I decided that in order to recreate a simplified and quicker version I would create Thermofax screens of the birds. I screened those onto the neutral background and then using textile paints I gave them some color. I free motion quilted the background and then thread sketched the branches and leaves. I gave the leaves a bit of color with textile paints too.  

front

back
I am currently (very slowly) working on a journal spread. This journal is made with watercolor paper and I created it a long time ago using Teesha Moore's tutorial. I have added more ink line detailing to the spread since taking this photo and will share more with you as it progresses.