Saturday, May 4, 2013

Soy Wax Inspirations


Here's my review of this DVD in a nutshell: GET IT! You'll enjoy the heck out of it if you've always wanted to try this technique or are just discovering it and now want to try it. I had so much fun playing with soy wax. I'll be the first to admit that there were parts of the process that I enjoyed less...like soaking the wax out of the fabric in the end. It is a bit of a slimy mess. But I think that with more experience I'll develop a system that works well for me. Ha! How's that for positive thinking.

Susan Purney Mark did an excellent job in providing information on soy wax and she also walks you through many different ways to use it and options in products, such as dyes and paints.

Here are the results from my soy wax play day.

The first fabric shown is actually the last one I did that day. I was basically trying to use up the dyes I had mixed up. With each photo you will see the tool I used to make the soy wax marks.


This next fabric is my favorite of the bunch. Did you notice the fabric in the photo with the DVD above? That is this same piece of fabric. It started out as a piece of hand dyed fabric and then I used a bleach pen to create circles on it. From there it turned into this piece. The bleached circles are fainter, but still noticeable, now that they've been over dyed.


The next fabric started out as a hand dyed piece as well. I simply snipped some bristles from my paintbrush to create an interesting paint stroke pattern as I painted on the wax.


This fabric started out as white PFD. I love playing with the tjanting tool.


The next one, which is the palest of them all, was the first one I did. I wasn't sure yet how much dye concentrate to add to my soda solution.


Things I learned from the experience:

  • I need to gain more experience with mixing dyes to use as paints. It is hard to tell how light or dark the resulting color will be and I need to be more aware of what I'm doing and probably make notes and measure better.
  • I need to find a method of washing out the soy wax that works better for me. I think that will come with more experience.
The colors of dye I used in my fabrics (not all necessarily on the same piece) were golden yellow, deep orange, amethyst, light red, and grape.  It will be fun to come up with different and unique ways to create the wax marks on the fabrics. I also think these finished fabrics will be fantastic canvases for more design layers...like screen printing!!!

Are you interested in winning a copy of this DVD??? I have an extra one to give away, courtesy of Susan Purney Mark. If so, please leave a comment on this post. I am accepting entries from anyone, no matter what part of the universe you live in. Please make sure I have a way to contact you if you win.  Thanks for stopping by and good luck!!! Oh, and I'll announce the winner one week from today...May 11.

54 comments:

  1. This looks such fun! I'm hoping to have a go with soy wax later in the year with Ineke Berlyn - I've never used it before!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terri I have never done this myself other than just dyeing Pfd fabric so I really enjoyed reading your results
    so much so i am really interested in trying...thanks a bunch and i really like the circle fabric....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are really cool looking fabrics! I've done a little bit of dyeing similar to that. The DVD would be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need this! I bought soy wax a few months ago to play with, it's still sitting in my sewingroom closet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love everything that you do. I have tried to do this but things didn't turn out quite like they should. I'm sure this dvd would really come in handy. Thanks for the chance to win.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh, yes, Please! I want to dye and mark my own fabric!!! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh! I'd love to have that CD. I do dye some of my own fabrics and have dabbled a bit with wax. Thanks for the chance to win!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Terri you have achieved just fabulous results! I love the circles, faded, the best. I'm pretty sure I should not be tempted into the soy wax world...as it looks fascinating! But would love to watch the video anyway! Where are you? To go, and thanks for the review! Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would love to win this DVD. I would especially like to play with tjanting tools

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, yes, yes..... this looks like a one to add to the MUST haves.

    Thank you for sharing and inspiring us with your creative spirit!

    Cami Smith
    CamiSmith@FiberArtNow.net

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks fun. You don't mention the type of fabrics used and type of dye. Put me in the drawing please!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Would LOVE to have Susan's DVD! Lovely fabrics that you created.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Put me down -- I'd love to win this! And... nice job on your fabric "experiments!"

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks so nice - love how your fabrics came out. I would love to try this out myself!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Terri,
    Thanks for the opportunity to possibly win this DVD. It looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'd love to win this....I have a love/hate affair with soy wax and this would provide the perfect moderating influence I need!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the results of your experiments, especially that comb! The colors are gorgeous. I have a love/hate relationship with pastels. I love deep rich color, and that is what I usually dye. Then mid December I realize that I do need some lighter values and off course, it is too dang cold to dye. Looking forward to seeing what happens next and if you solve the soy wax wash out dilema. I think that is what has kept me from diving in. Thanks for the chance to throw my name into the hat.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have done soy wax batik once and it was a lot of fun but I have a whole lot to learn! The DVD looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've been eyeing this dvd online and would love to win it. I already have the soy wax....for a year! Hah! thanks for the giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Would love to win this DVD-thanks. Your samples are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. this looks really interesting but I don't dare to start on any new techniques at present.
    Thanks for sharing it though.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for sharing the results of your soy wax play.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great results! This DVD would be the perfect kick to get me to use the soy wax I bought a couple years but have never used!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Nice results Terri. I like the third piece, with the simple circles.
    I remember I also disliked removing the wax at the end of the process, although it's much easier than with regular wax.
    Have a nice Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the marks you got from the tjanting and the clipped brush. I too have a pack of soy wax as yet unopened so would love to win this DVD. I am on a journey exploring mark making in all types of printing so would love to learn more.

    ReplyDelete
  26. the weather has finally made it possible to take my table out onto the deck for dye and paint play. I'm looking forward to new adventures with dye. Snipping the paint brush who knew, love the lines.
    Bev Longford

    ReplyDelete
  27. I ♥ learning new techniques for art quilt fabrics! This soy wax path looks like such fun and the results of your adventures are awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Gosh this looks really fun adding this technique would be cool for some of my mixed media collages!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. This looks fascinating and fun. I hope I win it but if I don't it's now on my wish list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hello, I just started dying with plants and spices and it was so fun and I got interesting results, I hope I get the opportunity to try the same as you, sounds like more fun possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your play with soy wax turned out well Terri!

    I use it quite a bit and have discovered through trial and error the washout that works for me...first I soak the finished fabrics in a bucket of ice water for at least 30 minutes. After that I toss them into the washer for a hot wash with synthropol..the wax washes away with the excess dye.

    ReplyDelete
  32. love how your pieces all turned out. I would love to have a copy - I'm a neophyte in the world of dyeing, but so anxious to learn everything I can!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I bought an electric skillet just last week to melt soy wax in... It would be kind of cool to have a DVD so I might have some clue what to do with it next!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Terry,

    I am a huge fan of Susan Purney Mark and would love to be ithe drawing for her new dvd! And I love the results you got on your soy waxing!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Your results came out great! Please enter me in your drawing!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Great results. I would love to learn more about this. Winning is always good.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love using soy wax. I saw the trailer for this video and it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I haven't used soy wax. I gave up on the idea of batik when I could never get the wax out of the fabric. Maybe it's time for another go. Love your bright cheery colours btw

    ReplyDelete
  39. Oh let the fun begin!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Great results! Would love to try this at home.

    ReplyDelete
  41. This really looks like a fun process. I would love the DVD.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Soy resist is something I have yet to try. So many techniques to try! Looks like you are having loads of fun

    ReplyDelete
  43. Thanks for showing us your experiments. I bought wax some time ago, but have yet to experiment with it. Hope you'll let us know when you find the "improved" way to get the wax out, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Thank you Terri, for a great blog post. Good luck to the winner!

    ReplyDelete
  45. I have had some soy wax for awhile, and have been wanting to do some soy wax resist, but I just didn't really have a good method down to get it done. I love what you did. It looks very do-able. Thank you so much for sharing. I would love to have the book.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Just got my first bag of soy wax so would love to win this DVD!

    ReplyDelete
  47. The DVD looks fabulous, such wonderful examples presented!

    ReplyDelete
  48. A big thank you to you and Susan for the opportunity to win a copy of this most inspirational DVD ... it sure looks like a "must have" and I would so pleased if you could include me. My email is charleyarry23{at}aol{dot}com

    ReplyDelete
  49. Oh my, I would also like to win this DVD. Looks like my kind of fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Oh yes I would love to win this dvd, this is a technique I have been wanting to try-and this would give me a push-thanks so much for the chance Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  51. Thank you so much everyone. The winner has been drawn. See post dated 5/11/13.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting your comments. Thanks so much for leaving one.