Monday, April 30, 2012

Cat of Many Layers

I finished this project last week and just hadn't had any time to get photos taken and shared here. I am loving how this turned out and will definitely do this technique again.

Untitled
Measures 39" x 21"





It was pretty easy to quilt through all the painted layers, especially since I was using textile paints and acrylic inks that don't leave a heavy or thick barrier on the surface of the fabric. The only areas where I experienced a little bit of trouble, in the form of skipped stitches, was the white screen printed doodle squares design that appears randomly over the entire surface. I believe that the reason I had a bit of trouble there was because I used an opaque white paint from Jacquard and that paint seemed much thicker on the surface. For the quilting I used a variety of threads but the needle I used was Superior's Titanium-coated Topstitch in size 100.

I think I have a spot picked out for this quilt in my house, but I need hubby to hold it up while I observe.

Tomorrow is the map reveal for the Twelve by Twelve group.  Woo wee!

10 comments:

  1. I love this cat! Especially the color choices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even tho I am not a cat person, I am definitely a many-layers person. It's beautiful.

    I wonder if you had used a "Jeans needle" if it would have stopped the skipped stitches.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first impression is "simplicity." The the complexity and depth of the piece kept my attention focused on the details of this piece for much longer than I would've expected. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful job Terri. Love the bright colours and the fabulous quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. gorgeous! Love the colors in this Terri. I think I need to get one of those doodle square silk screens.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's really cute! Maybe your new granddaughter needs one for her nursery.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great layers of colors and textures. Your adorable kitty shining through with so much purrsonality. Quintessential Quilting Bliss...

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's wonderful....so colorful!!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting your comments. Thanks so much for leaving one.