Saturday, January 14, 2012

I Made a Valentine

Last evening I spent some time with friends, new and old, and we sewed and laughed.  I taught them my techniques for painting with Neocolor II crayons.  I forgot to take my camera with me.  :(

Here is what I made during the demonstration.  A valentine.


I found the quilted neutral background with pink border in my stash.  It was a leftover from another project.


I drew a basic heart shape onto some paper.  I like to use Carol Doak's Foundation Paper for this process as it tears away fairly easily.  Although you could use plain copy paper.


I pinned the heart drawing to the quilted background and stitched over the shape with black thread.  Next I removed the paper.  After the paper was removed I did some more thread sketching and added lots of details.  I colored the shape with the crayons and then using a paint brush I wet the area with some textile medium. The small quilt measures 7" x 6.5".

16 comments:

  1. Such a happy little valentine - I must give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terri, that's beautiful. I love the thread sketching in black. It just makes the colours pop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sweet. I should check out that foundation paper!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is just BEAUTIFUL! Gorgeous color combo. Makes my mouth water :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the black quilting lines, and wonder... you could draw the heart freehand as well? Do you have to use the paper? Very beautiful; what a fun time it must have been!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you certainly can do this without the paper. I have done it by using no guidelines at all and also by drawing lines directly onto the quilt with one of those blue water erasable pens.

      Delete
  6. I love this Valentine Terri! You make the cutest things, and I always enjoy the colors that you use.
    D~~~~

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is way charming. Love your many talents :)

    auntie jude

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this, terri. I will put it on my list of ATC ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really sweet! thanks for sharing your technique too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful, love the softness and flowing design!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Replies
    1. Hi Vicki, the crayons I used are Caran D'Ache Neocolor II crayons. They are water soluble and available in a large range of colors. You can find the online at Dick Blick. Thanks for stopping!

      Delete

I enjoy getting your comments. Thanks so much for leaving one.