Sunday, April 3, 2011

Free-Motion Quilting Class

I mentioned a couple of posts ago that I was taking a full-day class on free-motion quilting with Laura Heine. Laura is a terrific teacher and has accomplished much in the years she has been in the quilting arena. Much, much more than I had realized. She is a fabric designer and also has a line of threads through YLI. She is an author and also a quilt shop owner. She is very inspirational. If you ever get the opportunity to take one of her classes, I recommend it.

Here are some of my free-motion quilting exercises from the class:


All of these designs come from Laura's book:


While I went to this class with knowledge on how to free-motion quilt, my main goal was to learn some new design ideas as I feel like I'm sort of stuck in a rut with the same designs.  Some of the designs I stitched on my sample pieces I really like and plan to use as they are and/or develop further into something more customized.  We were stitching our samples on pre-quilted muslin, which is handy to have on hand when you need to do some practice quilting.  The stuff I bought was from my local Hobby Lobby and I used my 40% off coupon.

Happy Quilting!

16 comments:

  1. Looks like you had fun and got some inspiration too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are inspiring me to practice more designs to get myself out of my free-motion-quilting rut!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is inspiring. Your samples look great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I can see where she was an inspiration. Thank you for sharing.
    Create,inspire,encourage.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  5. These looks great! I like the idea of FMQ practice on cheap pre-quilted cotton. I may have to borrow that one because I desperately need the practice. :-) Thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am quilter from India and I enjoyed the relief work machine quilting. Similar relief work done in Bengali Kantha by hand-stitching in running stitches depicting story telling motifs !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like you've been busy! I'm sure we'll be seeing more of these in your work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your practice pieces are totally awesome. I am blown away!

    auntie jude

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks like it was a very fun clasa and you've made some gorgeous practice pieces. Good samplers for future quilting! I'm glad you mentioned the quilting on prequilted muslin -- great idea that never would have occurred to me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks like it was an excellent class!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have some really great design references on your samples, Terri. I'm seeing evidence of a very successful day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for introducing me to Laura. Looks like this was a wonderful class. I do so love FMQ and currently researching to find teachers. I'll definitely include Laura in my research.

    SewCalGal
    www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks like it was quite the all inclusive class. You did tons of quilting and my favorite are the hearts that flow up and down next to one another. This should be inspiration for lots of quilts to come. Happy quilting...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the visit & compliment! I went thru lots and lots of little quilt sandwiches just doodleing with the sewing machine!
    Your doodles look terrific! Fun fun fun!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks to SewCalGal, I am in awe to see your practicing, which doesn't look like practice at all. I'll have to look up this author. I've not heard of her.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting your comments. Thanks so much for leaving one.