Sunday, March 20, 2011

A Little Birdy Told Me...

A Little Birdy Told Me
12" x 12" Mixed-media art quilt

I finished this little quilt a couple of days ago.  I need to add a hanging sleeve yet and a label, but that's it.  I love this little birdy.  The three horizontal lines you see on the piece are fabric thread junk that you find in newly dyed fabrics that you pull out of the washer and dryer.  I like to save it because it is so lovely and colorful, just like hand dyed fabrics.  I keep a little plastic dish on the shelf above the washer and just toss them in when I do hand dyed fabrics.  You just never know when you might need some thread junk for a project.

Speaking of hand dyed fabrics...the March 3 Creative Studios guest artist, Brenda Gael Smith, is teaching us shibori.  I'm hoping to find some time soon to give this a try.  It looks like fun.

18 comments:

  1. Love the thread junk and totally love your charming bird. I think I can hear it singing :)

    auntie jude

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute -- I've been saving thread junk for a while. Now I have some idea of what to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the little birdy! I have LOTS of thread junk too....it's so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terri, this is my favorite one so far I think, of your birdies. "Thread Junk" - great description for it! Love the backgrounds you put together, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like these little birds you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your little birds are always so sweet. These are my colors too:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so adorable. I love birds and this one has some real personality. well done

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this quilt, Terri, and fabric thread junk - who would think of that?!
    Also the quilt in your previous post is wonderful! Love the black accents!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! this is the coolest thing I have ever seen! You are so talented!

    I seem to respond this way to every piece you do...
    Then you do another one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Terri this is truly the sweetest bird I have seen ever. Your thread "junk" really does lend texture and interest. Great idea to save all that inspiration...

    ReplyDelete
  11. The colors are so soft in this quilt ... very lovely. I like the channel quilting too. It doesn't take the focus away from that adorable bird.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting your comments. Thanks so much for leaving one.