Friday, February 4, 2011

Journal Quilt #5


At one point this week I didn't think I was going to get a weekly journal quilt made. I had almost decided that it would be okay to skip it, but today I felt differently. I really wanted to do one. So I quickly found some fun and colorful fabrics and got to work.

I'm so happy that I just dove in and created this. I didn't put a lot of thought into it at all and I found my enjoyment factor was up in the high ranges. Usually I stress a bit more on how things work together and if the end result will look good. But when I started on this, I think I just pushed aside all the normal creative hesitations and went for it.

The stamped fabric across the lower third of the quilt and the Cape Code applique is something I had gotten a long time ago from Pokey Bolton from Quilting Arts. I can't even remember any more why she sent me this fabric, but I really like it. The colorful fabric in the upper section is one of those serendipity fabrics where you wipe excess paints and dyes off your brushes or rollers when painting on other pieces. Sometimes these clean-up fabrics turn out so beautiful.

A couple of new things I tried out on this quilt is the raw cut, wavy edge. I have about three to five specialty blades for my rotary cutter and I rarely use them. I really have no clue why. I also got out one of my twin needles for the sewing machine and used it to stitch a double straight stitch around the edges.

13 comments:

  1. That does look like ti was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terri, I love the playfulness of this. And to be dreaming of a Cape Cod summer day right now? Just what is needed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I really like this. I like both the fabric, but then also, I like the stitchwork that you chose to do. Sometimes overthinking things takes the playfulness out of a piece.. I can see the free spirit in this piece.. LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this also. I love the daisies. It hints at warmer weather and trips to the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is gorgeous. I have been weekly journal quilting for a while now and there are many weeks where I panic that I won't get something done in time! Love this one!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is really a fun piece Terri! I love the stitched flowers and the wavy edge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yup; I'm in love with this one too! I too, love the stitched playful flower design, and can appreciate your thought processes in design, color and being FREE! It's cool when that all comes together!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Playfulness! The trick is NOT to overthink. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's the best way to attack it, let it make it's own decision. I love all of your stitching, and especially the line drawing flowers. I have heard that the drip cloths, and brush cleaning cloths give you combinations of color you might not have put together otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super, super cool!!!

    auntie jude

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like you had a good "everything came together just right" kind of a day. That feels good doesn't it and kind of keeps us going.

    I do love your journal quilts and the idea that you recorded a good day in cloth:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's a wonderful piece. Very often I work like that without too much planing and just going with the flow, so I understand your enjoyment factor when creating this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice job on this one. I especially like the funky stitched flowers with the feeler-stamen thingies on them . . . and the wonderful texture via the quilting lines. It is an interesting piece.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting your comments. Thanks so much for leaving one.