Friday, May 7, 2010

Winter in May

I awoke this morning to a white winter wonderland.....IN MAY! Now I know that there is history of getting snow in May before.....but sheesh! We've already had many days of 60 and 70 degree weather, we've mowed the lawn already, and many plants and trees and bushes are in the process of coming back to life after a long winter. Oh well, I can't change it. But just look at my brave tulips!


So here is what has been keeping me busy the past few days. I have been busily stitching these paper-pieced arcs for the blue/green Indian Orange Peel quilt. And guess what??? I think I'm done with the arcs. Oh baby!!


Next I need to trim them to size and remove the paper backing.


I received an email this week from someone asking me if I have ever shared my technique for the mosaic collage quilting. I have created several quilts with this method recently, including two stacked coffee cup quilts and a face quilt. I've had others ask me about the technique as well. Well I replied to the woman who emailed me, but I have no idea if she received my response as I had a mail delivery failure returned back to me. But I just wanted to say that I do intend to write up a tutorial on the technique. I hope to get to that within the next month or so, so if it is something that interests you, stay tuned.

13 comments:

  1. They do look like brave soldiers marching into the abyss!

    I guess I had not registered that you were doing an orange peel quilt - that will be fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, they remind me of crowns from the Statue of Liberty, all stacked up and ready to be worn!

    Great colors!

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look forward to the tutorial.

    We are supposed to get that snow tonight. Right now it is raining. I hope it just stays warm enough to stay rain. It is cold though. Not good in May but it snowed on my birthday (May 17th) one year so.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my! I had to come see why you had a snow picture on... I can't believe you had snow... Your picture looks like one I posted in march when I was in Dallas and it snowed too!!! I was frozen as I thought it would be in the 70's!
    Poor frozen tulips!! :-)
    all your paper piecing look fabulous!! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Look at the snow around your tulips. Don't know if we'll get any around my area, but it was predicted for tonight. We sure got enough rain yesterday though. I'll be watching for more information on your mosaic technique. You do beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crazy weather! But it all looks good,your arcs and even those brave tulips.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy cow, looka that snow, Terry, I can't believe it!

    And your arcs, wow... as someone who has NO idea how to produce even a simple block, these blow my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  8. those are beautiful. Do you hand piece all those little triangles?????!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WoW Teri! That is going to be one amazing quilt! I love the color choices - lots of rhythm and movement already going on! We too have had winter in May - although no quite to that extent. I still have to wear gloves and fleece in the morning when I head off to work- at least the afternoons have provided clear skies and warm temps in the low 60's! Hope all of the snow has melted !

    ReplyDelete
  10. that quilt is going to be awesome. I still can't believe how much snow you got!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Poor tulips. We seem to have gotten our winter rain this spring-strange weather. Thanks for commenting on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness, I can't believe you have snow! A spring winter :) And wow, you've been busy. Those arcs are so colorful and intricate.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, that's not just a dusting of snow! I do love my latitude here - dare I say that I had my first swim of the season last week!

    I'm just catching up and want to say how gorgeous your quilts in your previous posts are!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting your comments. Thanks so much for leaving one.