Friday, May 28, 2010

More Painting

I am on a roll with face painting, I tell you. I shouldn't stay away from it for too long at a time because then I go into overload mode I guess. And here I was hoping for one face a week a few days ago. Silly me!

Anyway, this next photo is the next face in the progression of faces and I really don't like this one. Hey, who said I have to like everything I make. It's okay NOT to like it. It's all about the practice and experience. With this one I started with a different base color and her appearance is just too pink for me. So I won't be using that color again for skin, that is, if I can remember which color it was.


I started with Payne's Gray on this next face. While I'm happy with how this one turned out, I'm not so sure I will start with Payne's Gray again. It's all about the practice and experience...right?! Oh and I'm very happy with how this one's lips turned out.


I have been sewing the last few days too, honestly, I have. I am making more blocks to go with one of my BOM quilts. This quilt is one of the versions I made with the blocks from Three Creative Studios Block of the Month project. Here are some of my blocks that I had made a while back.


I had made the original 9 blocks from the block of the month project, then I made the 3 bonus blocks and ended up with 12 blocks (these are 12" blocks). I threw them all up on my design wall a few days ago and decided I'd like this quilt to be larger. So I used my Electric Quilt program and recolored eight of the blocks from the project. I finished the last of the eight additional blocks last evening. At this point all the blocks are too much to fit on my design wall and I can't place them up there and get a good photo. I also have decided to add a dark purple sashing so that is what I'm now working on. I hope to have a photo to share of my progress soon.

9 comments:

  1. Again, I love the pink face! Your color choices make your faces unique and give them real life and depth. So many artists these days are making porcelain faces with vacant eyes staring serenely off into space (BLAH!), but your ladies are fun, lively! I bet when you look back at your journal in a few years, you'll be patting yourself on the back and wondering why you were critical of them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. can't wait to see this quilt finished Terri. I love this color combination!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAH! Nice lips! But I'm liking what you are doing. I'm also curious to see what you'll be doing with the BOM's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am loving all of these faces that you are doing. That top one makes me think she is basking in the glow of a campfire........almost even looks like depths of a flame on the page beside her.
    What is better than experimentation with our art supplies???

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your faces are awesome. They are so hard for me to draw. I always admire people who can draw faces.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is perfectly okay to be self-critical. Happens to me all the time, too! Then I change method. A long time ago, I made a rule for myself: never to draw imagined faces anymore, only real portraits. The result was tremendous: You start developing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ... after 30 years, I came back to imagined portraits, I have to add. But it was different.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the lips too -- but I really like her eyes! I love the pic in the previous post showing all your paints.

    I like to draw faces too -- I agree, it's ok to NOT like them after you finish. And you may just find that you do like them when you look back.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've decided that you've found more than 24 hours in a day -- great job painting AND sewing!

    Diane

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting your comments. Thanks so much for leaving one.