Sunday, May 2, 2010

More about the Neocolor II Crayons

Many of you asked questions in the comments section of the Back to the Bluebird post. I thought I'd answer those here in case anyone else was interested in the answers.

Karen asked if I am painting directly on the fabric. My method when using the water-soluble crayons is to color with the crayon directly on the fabric. I'm basically coloring like a kid in a coloring book. I then use a paintbrush to wet the fabric and "melt" the color. I dip my paintbrush into textile medium, which I usually add some water to. I'm not exactly sure why I started adding water to it, but think it was for a runnier consistency.

Deanna asked how I achieve the hard edge when applying water to the crayon. As I described above, I am controlling the amount of wetness applied because I'm using a paintbrush. There are other ways to add water/wetness to the crayons, but this is the method I use because of the control I have.

Sometimes I want to add more color after the first initial layer is down. I have different ways I go about doing that. I will sometimes color with the crayon right on the fabric where I want more color and then add more textile medium with the paintbrush. I sometimes will dip my paintbrush into the textile medium and then rub the paintbrush on the tip of the crayon to pick up some color. Or sometimes I scribble some crayon color onto a piece of parchment paper and then pick up color from that with my wet paintbrush. So there are several ways to go about it and I found that as I got more familiar with the product I was able to easily recognize which method would work best for where I'm working on the quilt or the effect I was after.

I hope this helps you understand more about my Neocolor II painting process. Thanks to everyone who commented and asked questions.

And here are photos of the finished bluebird quilt.  I took these while it is being blocked on my design wall.  The finished quilt measures 34" x 42".

21 comments:

  1. HE's so cute. Thanks for the information on using the crayons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very insightful post. Thank you. Lovely quilt. Inspirational!

    SewCalGal
    www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmmm...definitely need to add a set of those to bag of tricks. Thank you for the introduction.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the tips... I LOVE this quilt... I like all of your quilts, but for me, this is my favorite. I like the colors, the subject, the technique. I don't know if I would be brave enough to paint directly on the quilt... but I'm going to give it a try. I was just reading on someone else's page yesterdayy about "perfectionist tendency" which stops you from trying something new because you don't want to ruin it. I'm over it... I'm trying it. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the info on the Neocolors. I see an order to Dick Blick in my future!;-)
    The Bluebird is adorable. You have captured such an expressive face and the detail is fantastic. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful quilt. Thank you so much for sharing your process. Your description gives me great information about how these projects are done.

    Smiles,
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job Terri as usual! The color, shading and texture is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow -- wonderful result. It all works together so beautifully and the quilting is wonderful too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am totally taken with this quilt, I think it's the prettiest, sweetest thing I've ever seen. Wow. Blown AWAY!

    Thank you for sharing what you do and how you do it. It's really generous of you and so inspiring!

    Ha- my veri word is STINGE! lol Something you are NOT.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You really do get some great results all the way around. Thanks too for the info on the crayons. I will give mine another try (I just haven't applied myself right?)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow! That is so cool. Now I have to get out those crayons and play! Thanks for the info -- I'm still getting the hang of them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've enjoyed catching up with you Terri. it's been ages :) Thanks for the tip on using fabric medium on the Aquarelles, I would never have thought of it.
    You just get better and better! I can waste hours playing with scribbler. Great isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very sweet little bluebird. Have you named him yet?

    auntie jude

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing this very do-able technique, Terri. Now I just need to find these crayons. Lovely quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cute Terri! I love the shading and texture created by the underlying piecing.

    I love the caron d'ache crayons...so easy to get great effects.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for sharing more about your process. This is so lovely - I can't get over it :) Gorgeous colors and an adorable little bird.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for entering your blog in the American Quilter's Society Facebook Blog-of-the-Week contest! Keep your eyes on our Facebook page- Winner announced tomorrow at 10 am CST!

    www.aqsquiltnews.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful!
    And thanks for the information.
    Regards.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your bluebird is wonderful! Thank you for the explanation on how you use the Neocolors with textile medium. I've got to try your technique when I get a chance. Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I found a note you sent me telling me about these crayons... so I googled Neocolor II, and the first NINE images that came up were yours! :D
    That led me here!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting your comments. Thanks so much for leaving one.