Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Pin Pondering

I've been doing quite a bit of this lately:

 

I pulled out my Indian Orange Peel quilt that I started a long time ago and decided I really wanted to get it done. While pinning the curved seams, I started thinking about pins. Hmmm, kind of a weird thing to think about. I started wondering just how many different types of pins I had and why I have them. Here is a photo of all the pins I could find. I think I may have some more somewhere, but I think they are older pins, perhaps from my grandmother.

  

Pins come in differing sizes, both in thickness and length. I have two different sizes of T-pins, small applique pins, curved safety pins for quilt basting, and more than one size of regular straight pins. I tend to use them all depending on the task and it's funny how I seem to know exactly which pins I need/want for what I'm working on. How about you? Is it the same for you? What are your favorite pins?

Here is a view of the blocks I've sewn so far. There are 25 blocks total and I've got 13 put together.

 

13 comments:

  1. heya sue!

    i too have different types of pins, all for different types of, well...pinning. depends on what i'm doing.

    love your quilt! wish i got the honor to quilt it...
    shannon

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is going to be a beautiful quilt, Terri! You are off to a great start!

    My favorite pins are "flower" heads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have tons of pins of all types. My biggest problem with pins is throwing away the dull ones..go figure!

    That is going to be one cool quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That quilt will be worth the wait! Yes, I have various pins. I did learn that old sewing machine needles are better for pinning stuff onto the corkboards than my quilting straight pins.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your quilt. Sometimes I find it hard to find really good pins.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have these long Chinese pins, sometimes I wish they were better quality, they are very useful. This quilt is wonderful, dynamic and fresh!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! Great blocks. I'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have all kinds of pins around here too, but my very, very favorites of all are the Clover Forked Pins that hold seams together while you stitch them.

    I could not live without those now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can see why you would want to finish this quilt! It's fabulous and in all my favorite colors.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I have ~3-4 different types of pins, but I'm not always that great of thinking why I need one type vs the other. There are some times when it is obvious to me, but not always. Maybe this topic (when you prefer what type of pin) may be a future topic for you to share your insights on your blog...I'd love to hear your perspective.

    And I love your quilt project!

    SewCalGal
    www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a pattern that I've been wanting to do for a long time. I should finish that log cabin of mine first though!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This design is really pretty in blue -- nice choice of colors!

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  13. Best pins? I love glass headed pins - nice and sharp, easy to pick up, and they don't melt if I press over them!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting your comments. Thanks so much for leaving one.