Friday, November 6, 2009

Hand Dyed Beauty

Look at my cool new hand dyed fabrics!


I dyed these all in one bucket. A one gallon bucket to be precise. All of these are half yard pieces. So I got a total of 5 yards from one gallon. I first read about doing this over on Connie's blog. I thought her results looked wonderful and I knew I wanted to try it too. Well, the other day I was in my extra fridge, loading it up with pop for hubby, when I spotted some leftover dyes from my summer dyeing session. I thought I should get those used up and then remembered this bucket dying method.

I am just amazed at how these turned out when you add all different colors of dye into one bucket. I love all the color variation and the effects on each piece of fabric. I could look at them all day. They remind me of glass. I also like looking at them and spotting shapes that remind me of things. In one fabric I found a couple of shapes that reminded me of a male and female head that were right next to each other, like they were posing for the camera.

Now to figure out how I want to use these. I may have a hard time cutting into them.

22 comments:

  1. I love these! I might have to try that too...just what I need right now - one more creative outlet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice!
    How about using it for your 12x12 piece? I see some pink in a few of your fabrics...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will you share how you stack fabric and dye sequence???
    the fabric is so fun...Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. (me again:) Are you going to tell us how you did this, or is it a trade secret? Would love to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning does not even begin to describe them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can see where you would not want to cut into them! Striking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing results. I'm checking out that blog right now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are beautiful and I'd have a difficult time cutting into them also.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful!! I have the same problem, not wanting to cut into some of the hand dyes I have purchased. On the other hand we should be USING our most beautiful fabrics and let the rest end up in a garage sale when we die.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are great, Terri -- can you post a link on the directions for this type of bucket dyeing? It's new to me -- and thanks!

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are amazingly beautiful Terri!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Terri, these are gorgeous! I would have trouble cutting into these too! You could almost just put stretch them on stretcher strips and hang them to admire as is!!
    I also love your abstract quilt in the previous post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Terri, these are gorgeous! I would have trouble cutting into these too! You could almost just put stretch them on stretcher strips and hang them to admire as is!!
    I also love your abstract quilt in the previous post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. They're gorgeous, Terri! I haven't cut into any of mine yet, but I think I will, soon!

    The gal who I learned this from had asked me to take the directions off my blog, which I did the day after posting them. So I'm glad you didn't get too specific!

    ReplyDelete
  15. They are all fabulous! Im' heading to the studio to try that technique asap!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wowser! Those are simply beautiful. They do look a bit like stained glass. I think I spotted the faces you talked about.

    Way cool, keep making more.

    auntie jude

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh so gorgeous! I look at my plain muslin waiting for months now for me to get the courage and time to do some dyeing.

    And I'm really liking your abstract quilt below!

    ReplyDelete
  18. yummy, I have to go and check out how to do this.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting your comments. Thanks so much for leaving one.