Sunday, July 12, 2009

Beautiful Color

I'm not sure exactly when in my life color became such an exciting thing to me. I've enjoyed crafting for as long as I can remember, but I don't recall color being an important factor way back then.

These days just looking at colors and color combinations can give me such pleasure. It certainly is candy to my eyes. I think this color enjoyment comes from not only working in fabrics and paints, but the age I'm at. I think as we get older, we enjoy more simple things. Okay, maybe not all of us.

Anyway, I had wanted to share my newest hand dyes with you yesterday, but obviously that didn't happen. So better late than never right?

I was able to sneak in another two color gradation besides the two I spoke of in my earlier post. So I have three new gradation groups to show you.


The color groups in the photo above are: top - golden yellow to grape, middle - orange to grape, and bottom - orange to turquoise. In all the groups, the fabric that is on the left side is the results of using the remaining dye at the end of the gradation mixing.

I mentioned in my previous post that the two color groups using grape were similar in color results. Well I said that when they were still wet in the dye buckets and they really did look close. But now they certainly don't. I love how the perle cotton dyed up as well and doesn't it look great with it's matching fabric?


I also have some exciting news. I received notice yesterday that my quilt Waiting has been accepted into the Blurred Boundaries exhibit, which is an exhibit that is part of the Fabrications Retreat. More information can be found here.

14 comments:

  1. Gorgeous again! Love the colors and the matching yarns are fabulous. I agree on those changes as we age ... my color preferences have gradually changed with age too.

    Congratulations on the BB exhibit!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your fabrics turned out great! I tend to use my yellow-grape combinations a lot. It's a very unusual set of colors and I love them!

    Congrats on your BB exhibit. That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. GREAT JOB on the dyeing!
    And, CONGRATS on the Blurred Boundaries entry!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous! I love love that set in the middle. Fantabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these Terri... 2-color, 6-step gradation is what I'll be doing this week, as well, and I love your results so I can't wait to see if I get as beautiful a fabric selection when I'm finished as you've achieved here. (I wonder if we're working our way through the same book? lol)

    The thread was a brilliant idea, it's going to be so fab to use those with their fabrics (and with contrasting fabrics, for that matter).

    Have you been struck by inspiration yet on what to do with these beauties?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're killing me here!

    I am discovering lately that I really like my hand embroidery to blend into the background and be a bit of a subtle effect. Having floss that matched my fabrics would be perfect. You may inspire me to start dyeing fabric after all . . . .Is it really pretty easy? As in throw it in the washer and go? I don't want to mess with a bunch of chemicals.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your fabrics and threads. I have not been dyeing fabric for very long, but am always excited and amazed with the results.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like Brenda said: Yum, yum, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great results as always. Maybe as you get older appreciating something as elemental as a beautiful array of colors is all you need? Very satisfying:)

    Congrats again on the show.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Color is such a wonderful element in crafts and art. Your fabrics are so fantastically bright - excellent colors. And congrats on your quilt! That's so exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, simply marvelous !!!! They look so luscious.

    auntie jude

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a treat! Something is amazing about the way the colours blend in the middle: The pastel mix is rather faint compared to the pure shades right and left. I am not very experienced in dyeing; do the substances neutralize each other to a certain degree instead of adding their intensity?

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting your comments. Thanks so much for leaving one.