Friday, May 15, 2009

Results and More Results

Last Saturday (May 9), I showed you a small test I was conducting. I brushed some of the Dr. Ph. Martin's Bombay India Inks onto a piece of fabric. My results are below. I cut the fabric swatch into three pieces. I kept one piece as my control, it is unwashed and un-heat set, just air dried from brushing on the ink. The middle section I ironed to heat set. The bottom piece I didn't heat set. I tossed the two pieces into a warm water bath with a drop of Synthrapol, stirred them around a bit and then let them soak for an hour or more.

They came out really well in my opinion. I think they lost just a minimal amount of color, so minimal it's almost hard to tell. I didn't see any color in the wash water. It looks to me like the heat setting wasn't necessary to maintain the color in the fabric. So now I know that I can use these inks on fabric and if it gets wet, they won't bleed and wash out. The ink does change the hand of the fabric a little bit, but nothing very significant, in my opinion.


Here are some fabrics that I hand dyed. Yum!


And here is the quilt I've been working on for a couple weeks now (I showed you a sneak peek a couple of days ago). I used many techniques from Melanie Testa's book Inspired to Quilt. I like how this turned out. At first I thought I'd add more quilting on the cat, but the way it is now, the silk organza puffs up a bit and gives it a dimensional quality that makes the cat seem almost 3D.


Today I am washing my deconstructed screen printed fabrics. They are drying as I write this post. I'll share those with you tomorrow. Hey, it's Friday!!!

8 comments:

  1. Terri....I love your new quilt. It is absolutely adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say that I love this new piece best of all so far. It is a great balance of elements and shapes plus that kitty looks so happy! I am really taken with those flowers shapes too. Good for you.

    Your fabric experiment turned out well too. I have used acrylic paints with some good results. I don't know if this is your thing but when I scrunch the fabric and let it dry I get some interesting results.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This new quilt is so charming. Love the flowers and the cat just makes you want to pick him up & hold him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE love love this cat quilt. Absolutely love it. The expression on his furry little face and the shading is brilliant. The combination of colors in the background and the flowers is perfection. LOVE everything about this quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your quilt is really and truly GREAT! I love everything about it. Your background fabric is sensational and the cat is just purrrrfect! Of course, the hand dyed fabrics are yummy too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Terri, thanks for sharing the results of your experiment. Your quilt is lovely. I'm expecting Melanie's book in the mail any day now, and I can't wait!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lisa from C&T told me about your blog..its great love your work..I have never tried screen printing will have to I think!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous quilt! And I'm enjoying the rest of your blog ....

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting your comments. Thanks so much for leaving one.