Monday, January 7, 2008

Fabric Painting

I experimented with a little line design and painting on fabric the last couple of days. Hey Vicki, wasn't too lazy for this....LOL! On the first sample I applied a glue line using a small metal applicator tip. The line was quite skinny and the amount of glue I applied didn't penetrate through the fabric so that when the paint was applied the color bled outside the lines. I'm not happy with this scan, it appears grainy.

painted fabric
For the next sample, I applied a black water soluble based gutta resist. By the way, both samples are done on 100% cotton. After the resist dried, I heat set. This resist doesn't sink into the surface of the cotton either and just rests on top, leaving a bit of texture. I knew the paint would bleed past the lines as I've done this before. The paints I used were acrylic paints with no textile medium added. I mixed them with water. I applied the yellow first and then the reds. You can't see in the scan, but the last green I applied was a lime green Twinkling H2O, so there is a tiny bit of shimmer.

painted fabric