Sunday, December 23, 2007

Blue Bowl

I've wanted to learn to make fabric bowls with the clothesline technique for some time. When I was in Houston I saw a vendor booth that had them in it and that revived my interest in them. So a month or so ago, I got a book on how to make them. In the last few days I finally found some of the appropriate clothesline at a local store. Yesterday I sat down and made my very first bowl. I had a lot of fun. I grabbed my blue scrap basket and I don't think I even made a big dent in the scraps. I'm picturing a whole bunch of these in an array of colors that match my scrap baskets.

fabric clothesline wrapped bowlThis particular bowl measures approximately 7.5 across the top and the base is approximately 4.5". Height is close to 3". I am surprised at how firm and rigid the bowl feels and I'm happy with how well my first one turned out. I envisioned it looking really wonky and lopsided.

12 comments:

  1. Nice job ! I knew you'd love making them !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terri,
    That is very cool. What is the name of the book you used for directions?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! I'll take one in purples please :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great, Terri - I should do that with a bag of scraps for the challenge on FnS - just need to get ahold of some clothesline. It's one of those things that's been on my list for ages...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks really great. I have the book but not the clothesline. Will be makin' me one when I get the clothesline. Love the latest journal quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty! I can just picture those in a rainbow of colors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! I just bought the book to do these this week! Another thing on the list....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! I have done these in the past with long strips, knotting and wrapping- this looks much less time-consuming. I, too, would love to know the name of this book.
    LB

    ReplyDelete
  9. YOur bowl looks beautiful. I have seen a few pictures of these type of bowls around and have wondered how to make them, could you tell me what book it is that you used for the instructions please?

    ReplyDelete
  10. So beautiful!
    Wish you happy holidays and wonderful 2008!
    Regards
    Waltraud

    ReplyDelete
  11. The bowl is gorgeous. I would love to know the name of the book you are using, also.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting your comments. Thanks so much for leaving one.