Monday, February 26, 2007

Experimenting

In my previous post, I showed you a piece I worked on with meltable fabrics. I forgot to mention that after I had free motion stitched the piece I then applied heat with my heat gun and melted away some of the layers.

Anyway...I wasn't too happy with it. So I cut it into four pieces and did stuff. I was feeling a little bit wreckless. I actually thought of Lynda (Hi Lynda!) while doing this. She is always doing some really interesting things and I tried to think like she would while approaching ways to alter this piece.

In this first photo, I used a glue/water mixture and brushed quite a bit over the layered piece. I then took two sheets of scrunched up, then reflattened tissue paper and spread it over. I added more glue/water. Then I added about three colors of Dye-na-flow and spread that around. Left it to dry. Once it was dry you couldn't see any of the original piece, but I got these cool textury areas on the tissue. It almost looks like some embroidered stitches. The tissue ended up coming off the original piece quite easily. I think the glue soaked into the lower layers too much and didn't adhere well to the tissue. But I can still experiment further with the layered piece. And I have a cool tissue sample to do something with.


For the next sample...I used about 4 colors of textile paints and put it here and there until most of the original fabric color was gone. I like how this turned out because I like this color much better and you can still see all the textures from the stitching and layering underneath.


The last sample I did was to use regular craft type acrylics and painted a piece of wonder under (fusible web). Let it dry. Then fused it to the layered piece. I don't like how this turned out at all. You cannot see any of the original piece through the wonder under layer. Perhaps I used the wrong type of paint for this technique. Any suggestions?


So there you have it. Since February's technique challenge in the Fiber Art Friends groups was to explore texture, I think I can include this.

Here is a felted pouch update: Five are lined and zippered. Five left!


Vicki asked in the comments from the last post, what am I going to do with all those pouches? Well, I think it's looking like I have a really good start on next year's Christmas gifts. Also, I'm just having so much fun knitting them.

Micki asked if I add the embellishments to the pouches before or after washing/felting. The embellishments are novelty yarns that are knitted right into the pouch...so they are added before.

12 comments:

  1. Very cool samples Terri! Love that second one. Whenever I paint fusible web I use a lighter paint like dye-na-flow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terri- your experiments are way cool...the second piece looks like a winner for sure...thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love what you are doing with these Terri. The colours in the second sample look really good. Like Sue I use something lighter on fusible web, either acrylic inks or silk paints.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice samples! I just love how you photograph all of the pouches. They will be great Christmas gifts but take lots of these cool posed photographs first!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great experiments! Love the texture of the tissue paper afterwards. Your little purses are way too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely samples Terri, looks like you had fun, when I use acrylic paint on fusible, I tear fragments and place them on the fabric, so the base colour shows through, look at the needle case for an example

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the second sample Terri and those pouches all smiling happily.
    About the disaster sample how about using sand paper and lightly rubbing away some of the acrilyc paint and this will rough up the texture again.
    Mind you I haven't done this before on fabric but I have on paper and I can't see how it wouldn't do something interesting.
    If all else fails forget about it .

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love seeing your experimentations and learning what you're thinking with them. Great! Love the pouches, too. xoxo, Fran

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great experiments even if they didn't turn out quite like you hoped. That's how we find out what works and what doesn't. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. those bags are really cute. I'm curious did you use special "felting" yarn?

    Joanna

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your pouches and your sampler

    ReplyDelete
  12. :D i actually like the piece you think didn't work. It's just like my stuff before I've stitched over and burnt it away... I use acrylic paint too - The heat gun would reveal all the lovlies underneath again ;))

    Great pieces Terry

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting your comments. Thanks so much for leaving one.