Wednesday, January 3, 2007

WIP Wednesday

Here's what I'm working on today. The first picture is a birdhouse gourd I'm pyroengraving. I think I'm about half way done with the burning. This is a project that may take a bit of time to finish as I can only hold the pyroengraving tool for so long before my hand gets sore.


These next photos are a step by step process. An online group I belong to (FiberArtFriends) is going to be experimenting with new techniques each month for the year 2007. This month we are supposed to experiment with combining fabric and paper. I am following a Quilting Arts magazine article with this experiment. I started out with brushing a glue/water mixture onto my work surface. Then I spread a piece of white muslin over that. Then I applied more glue/water.


Next I took a piece of white tissue paper and scrunched it into a ball. Unfolded it and spread it over the muslin. Using my hands I pushed it down onto the muslin. I then applied glue/water again with the brush.


Then I applied Dye-na-flow colors. I used squirt bottles with a watered down version of the Dye-na-flow, as I didn't want the colors too strong. I used brick, violet, and ochre.


After I had all the color on, I then took a dry brush and gently went over the colors to blend them somewhat. Now it's left to dry. I imagine it will take about 24 hours to completely dry.

13 comments:

  1. That gourd is too cool. I'll be interested to hear the results of what the fabric paper is like once it's dry. I wonder if it will be stiff like paper. I wonder if it would hold it's shape well if you molded it over something while it was drying?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I faintly remember that article and thought it might be fun to try--must have been in another lifetime, though.

    I do want to see what you do with this paper/fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you read The Gourdmother by Maggie Bruce.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The gourd is looking great. I remember this technique in QA. Your colors are really vibrant. C an't wait to see how it turns out.

    I guess I'd better get busy and decide what I am going to do. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Waiting is the hardest part for me. I am curious what the "hand" of this fabric is going to be like. Also, I like the gourd. Are you going to stain it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are very diverse, from gourds to paper fabric all in one leap! I too an anxious to see the results of your experiment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The gourd is wonderful, so intricate, look forward to seeing it finished, and you have been busy on your paper experiments, looking good

    ReplyDelete
  8. The engraving on the gourd is fabulous!! The colours on the fabric paper are so nice - can't wait to see what you do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the birdhouse gourd! The engraving on that is just beautiful.

    Any plans for the fabric/paper? I can't wait to see! As usual, lovely colors!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely colourful start to the paper/fabric challenge theme. Can't wait to see how this evolves. Hope to start my stuff this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thats a very intricate pattern on your gourd. You must have a steady hand.
    Paper & fabric sample looking good. Is there a specific reason why you have used Dye-na-flow or could you use any other liquid colour?
    Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love all the colors..reminds me of spring time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well I'll be darned! You have it all right here for the fabric paper! Way coolies! Gotta try it! hehe..Faboo colours by the way! :D Hugs! Nance

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting your comments. Thanks so much for leaving one.