Monday, September 9, 2013

One of My Favorites

I have several favorite artists that I am totally in love with. I'm sure most artists have people they admire and follow. Today I am going to share one of the artists that I really love. Her name is Cate Edwards. I can't find a web site for her but here is a link to a little bit of information about her, click here.

And you will find some of her art on her Flickr page here. I did not post any of her art photos here for you to see because I didn't seek permission to do so....but I really really encourage you to visit her Flickr site.  

One thing about Cate's work that I find truly awesome is the details she puts into it. I find it truly enjoyable to look at and discover little bits of things here and there in her work. She has a way of giving life to inanimate objects.

Many times I find myself wondering how the imagination works in coming up with such unique art. I'd love to be able to spend a week with my favorite artists and just watch, observe, and question. Since that is not possible, I sometimes try to create something as if I had taken a workshop with the artist. I let their inspirational work guide me and I try and think like they might when creating.

Yesterday was my imaginative workshop with Cate. I created the piece below. My Cate-inspired vessel has my most favorite objects that I love drawing...a girl, a cat, a bird, and flowers.


My next drawing was taking Cate's idea of filling in unexpected areas with life and design, but using an image that is more familiar to my work....kitties!! This piece is still just in black and white mode and will get colored someday.


How about you? Do you have a list of artists that you'd like to be when you grow up?