Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Color Talk

My current color combination obsession is purple and orange. I am so very attracted to the combination of these two and I'm finding it doesn't really matter what shade of purple or orange. The purples can range from the more bluey tones to the more reddish tones and the oranges can be more yellowy or more reddish. Either way, my eyes send happy vibes to my brain when these colors are seen.


I find it a little funny, though, because on the color wheel, yellow is exactly opposite of purple. And these two are supposed to be complements. I recently created a quilt for the Twelve by Twelve group using these complementary colors and I found that my heart wasn't in it. I wanted so badly to grab the orangey yellows or yellowy oranges to put into the quilt rather than typical yellow.

I found that I have many examples of the purple/orange color combination out in my garden this year. Again, the oranges and purples vary in their color range, but here is five examples of this in my garden. Some of these photos don't show off really well as it was very sunny outside when I took them.


So now I am wondering did I pick these flowers for their color and how they'd look together, knowing that I liked these two colors together. Or did I start loving the color combination after seeing it outside and elsewhere. Which came first, the chicken or the egg, right?