Thursday, March 15, 2007

Journal Quilt #11

This weeks journal quilt was an experiment. First the background. I had a piece of aquabond sitting around that I hadn't yet tried. So I cut a piece off and placed it on my table sticky side up. Then I took all my saved snippets of threads and arranged them over the sticky area. I then layed a piece of tulle over all. I free motion embroidered everything. I soaked it in warm water and let it dry. It was very pretty and colorful.

To create this piece, I layed the thread background on a piece of black wool felt. I adhered it with some wonder under. Then, using the needle felting attachment for my Bernina, I started creating flowers, stems, and leaves with some wool roving. I added in some silk fibers here and there for some highlights. I also did some hand embroidery on this piece.

13 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful piece of work that came about from your experiment Terri. I must give it a go. I love using my thread bits with the embellisher, but never thought of doing them this way and I have loads of threads as I have always saved my bits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous--absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an incredible piece, Terri. I love it. Must try something similar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just beautiful!!! More gorgeous flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is beautiful Terry I love the background.
    BTW the much travelled Postcard is still travelling-Monday is a public holiday here so It looks like Tuesday then.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is gorgeous Terri. It hasn't taken you long to get to grips with your new machine AND the felting attachment has it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful Terri, love the background texture, I must try the sticky type soluble, I usually hve trouble keeping my snippets all in one place

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous. I just want to pick those flowers!
    Hugs, Alis

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow this turned out just stunning, Terri. I think this is my favourite of all the journals you have done so far. The colours are spectacular

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is a beautiful piece Terri...I can feel spring in the air just looking at it......

    ReplyDelete
  11. It really is a pretty piece.

    I worry about the needle felting on such an expensive machine. My sister just got one too. I'm afraid it would not only put a lot of wear & tear on the machine, the felting rovings creates so much fuzz. I bought the Janome Xpression. I figured at $299.00, it's worth the insurance to protect my Berninas.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really love this!
    Thanks for visting and commenting at my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a really lovely piece Terri! I saw it on flickr, but think you maybe read the comment more here?!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting your comments. Thanks so much for leaving one.