Saturday, February 24, 2007

Journal Quilt #8

I felt like gardening again. I guess I would have to say that gardening is my second favorite hobby after crafting. Perhaps I've told you that before. I can't remember.


Yesterday was a play day for me. I had been wanting to try this technique that I had seen in a past issue of Quilting Arts. You layer lots of bits of man-made type fabrics on top of a piece of wool felt. You need to use man-made fabrics that are meltable. Like polyester. Then after all your layered bits are on you cover the entire thing with a piece of tulle or organiza. Pin well, then free motion all over the surface. Here is my results.


I'm not too happy with my results. I realize I should have used lots more bits of stuff as there are several areas where you can see the bottom felt layer (light pink). Also I don't like the colors. Note for next try....use more stuff! Since I'm not happy with the results, I plan to alter it. I have a few ideas, not sure how any of them will work, but I will post my experiments when they are done.

Next I made some more fabric paper. One in blues, and one in greens.


And I had a few, nine to be exact, knitted pouches that needed to be felted, so I threw all of them into the washer and got these. I need to get going on putting linings and zippers in them, but that's my least favorite part and they seem to just sit there and make me feel quilty that I keep putting it off. My favorite part is the knitting. Can you tell, since there are so many?


By the way, the bottom row pouches are not bigger in real life. They are all about the same size. I just combined two photos into one and evidently I was standing closer to them in the second photo.

14 comments:

  1. Good heavens you were busy! Any particular reason why you made the fabric paper? Those pouches are looking really good. I love the frilly/fluffy edgings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terri, you have been industrious,
    love your little quilt, and the colour of the fabric paper is glowing.
    nine coloured pouches sitting on the wall, oh no it's green bottles isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The new journal quilt is lovely - I can see you're really looking forward to spring! Is the pink piece going to be 'zapped' with a heat gun? If not I don't see why you had to use the poly fabrics. Love the new pouches too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you have time to eat and sleep Terri --but it was all worthwhile because you produces some wonderful "stuff"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you've been making some really cool things! The journal quilt is really nice and I like your fabric sample and can't wait to see what you do with it next! The pouches are so cute! What are you going to do with so many of them?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like you had fun trying out different things. I really like the first piece with the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your garden journal is lovely and just the sort of gardening I enjoy these days, fabric gardening. I can't wait to see what you will do with the one you are not happy with.Those pouches are in wonderful colours.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Busy as a bee!
    I like these little pouches. And I understand very well what you mean about the linings and zippers...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like your garden journal piece. I am jealous of your playtime. I haven't done anything the past couple of days. Your pouches are great. Question: do you add the little embellishment before or after you throw them in the wash?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, have you been busy! Love the journal quilt and am also longing for spring :-)
    The pouches are lovely and the "layer-fabric" looks interesting. Maybe if all the pieces were smaller with more "frayed" egdes? I´ll have to take a look at the QA-magazine, cause I love working with organza and chiffon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Busy, busy, busy!! Your journal quilt is really lovely - love the addition of the black swirls. Also, those pouches are just so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like all your work. Especially the piece from Quilting Arts. Where does the melting come in?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, that's a lot of projects you did! Oh my gosh, but now I have spring fever! It's been really hard because we're still in the midst of winter here and we've had a succession of snow storms for the past few days, with more to come.

    I love gardening too :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your garden quilt is lovely, as are your bags and the felted bags. Fabulous.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting your comments. Thanks so much for leaving one.