Friday, January 5, 2007

2007 Goals and Experiment Results

I've been hearing and reading how some of you make lists of your creative goals each year. I've never done this before and started thinking about it. I've decided to try it for one year then see how I like this idea. So, for the past couple of weeks, I've been making a list and here it is:

  1. Participate in the monthly technique with the Fiber Art Friends group I'm a member of. Each month a new learning technique is selected and I will try and come up with 3 to 5 ways to experiment with the technique.

  2. Create a 8.5 x 11 journal quilt each week, using any subject and any technique. On the back side of this small quilt I plan to write about the process I used and any other thoughts I may want to include.

  3. Participate in swaps with the online groups I belong to. But...don't over-commit myself. I want to feel really excited about the swap idea before I decide to join.

  4. In the Fiber Art Friends group, I'm participating in a Fabric Page Swap, which we will eventually make into a book. Each month create a 9x9 fabric page for my swap partner.

  5. Continue to sketch/draw. Keeping up with this should help me improve in this area.

  6. Keep track of my favorite magazine's "calls for submissions" and challenges....and enter when I can come up with an idea I'm really excited about.

  7. Continue to work on my Indian Orange Peel Quilt.

The following pictures are the results of the fabric/paper I created the other day. After it was dry it had stiffened considerably and could even stand on it's own.

I laid the fabric/paper down on my ironing board, paper side down and using a protective piece of fabric I ironed the entire piece to flatten it out. Next I cut a 8.5 x 11" piece of the fabric/paper. I folded it in half and using a text rubber stamp and some white ink, I stamped all over. Then I sewed on some canvas scraps that I had stamped a design onto. And there you have it....a greeting card.

Detail photo. The tissue paper created a wonderful crinkle texture.

I think this experiment went quite well and I would do it again. I feel there are a lot of potential uses for this fabric/paper.