Tuesday, November 14, 2006

A New Thingee-Ma-Bob


A couple of weeks or so ago I posted a piece of fabric I had made using dyed coffee filters and other fun little fibers and such. Well I cut into it and came out with this. If any of you are readers of Somerset Studio and have the latest issue you will see where I got the idea.

It is a three-sided piece that I hand-stitched down the sides, but before completely stitching the third side, I pushed in some stuffing to hold the walls up. Oh, by the way, this fabric was constructed on top of some Peltex (a stiff interfacing material). So the three sides were sturdy, but they still wanted to collapse inward without the stuffing.

I then stitched some fiber to the sides to cover up the raw edges. Next I added the fringed bottom and the hanging loop. It could be a Christmas ornament.

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for coming to my site as I am a newby to the world of blog. My son was sitting by me when we checked out your coffee filter art and he is greatly intriqued as he is an avid coffee drinker. He asked, "Are those used filters?" I had to laugh but I said coffee makes a pretty good dye too so why not use them after a good cup of coffee. I do have a longarm and try to find time to experiment with my machines and new fibers and all those glorious threads they make for us. The embellishers and art quilt rings are a real eye opener for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooooh, I like your Thingee-Ma-Bob! Got any in green? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could be an everyday ornament! Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! and the tassel is perfect for it. Might be nice to stuff the next one with a little potpourri and use it as an everyday ornament or a hang on the doorknob room freshener!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love all those beautiful threads! And, the colors are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous, Terri! And so creative! I like sue b's idea of stuffing it with Pot Pourri. Useful as well as ornamental! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I actually just read that article this weekend. But I have to confess, I like your version MUCH better! Hugs, Shari

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I really like your "thingamebob". How wonderful making it out of used coffee making filters. What a great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A very beautiful and useful thingamebob you created..and yes i will agree with the potpourri idea! Fabulous! Much love and hugs!

    Nance

    ReplyDelete
  10. I saw those too Terri. I was thinking I'd try using Timtex in them with fabric on top, then put small gifts inside for Xmas. I was planning on making them for my co-workers. & no, I don't have a longarm, just an old Bernina 1260, which I consider the best machine ever made. Actually I own 3 of them.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting your comments. Thanks so much for leaving one.